"Volatility trader" trading result

Lol how somone with a 5k account will write naked puts get assigned and sell calls , not feasible.

It is funny how subs are thinking about scaling and rescaling and what if it reaches 1 million … etc , when in reality they should be concentrating on strategy risks snd future drawdowns which tend to scare the subs away when it happens .

1 Like

I thought it was clear that the sub-discussion was specific to rescaling, and not any particular system…as we spoke generally about systems.

But just to be clear for anyone else that was confused: Yes, 5k is not enough for all systems.

Yes, absolutely. I fully agree on concentrating on strategy risks & drawdowns.
That’s why my account follows several strategies on C2.
And that’s why I don’t write naked calls/puts with VolatilityTrader.

But I realize that by trading without options, the performance will be much lower.
Therefore it will be necessary to adapt (lower) the C2-Scaling once in a while in the future.
And that’s why I asked the question in the first place.

But I understand the concerns of VixTrader & subscribers.

Of course my account is much higher than 5K. :wink:

First off, you’re a great trader, not trying to bash your strategy or results in any way. Just a few things I noticed after digging into each of the trades posted on C2:

1. About 85% of profits have come from volatility trades (both options and ETFs/ETNs)
  2. Stocks positions (excluding the volatility ETFs/ETNs) are roughly break-even
  3. Short stock option positions make up about 15% of profit
  4. Majority of drawdowns / risk come from the short stock options and ensuing stock positions if assigned
  5. It seems C2 assumes all short option positions that are held to expiration are profitable (assumes you collect 100% of the premium) even if the option ends up in the money (instead, the loss seems to show up on the stock position).

Question 1: Why not exclusively trade vol options and ETFs/ETNs if it generates the majority of your profit, and eliminates the main source of your drawdowns?

Question 2: Your true Win % is quite a bit lower than stated by C2, correct?

Again, not trying to bash you or deter anyone from subscribing - just trying to dig a little deeper into the numbers.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Answer 1: a big reason is due to boredom. 2nd reason because I work with options everyday on my day job, so I end up wanting to trade options on my personal accts

Answer 2: short answer is yes. Since I always collect option prem until expiration. C2 will consider that as a profitable trade. But majority of the time I actually want to get assign when I sell options. I think that is an intention most viewers don’t understand or realize.

Thanks for the feed back. Good luck trading

2 Likes

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply!

If you’ve written naked options and are assigned stock and your account doesn’t have enough to cover the assignment doesn’t the broker just immediately sell the stock (i.e. cause a margin call)?

If margin call due to selling naked options. 6:45 is when they force cover. If you know you won’t have the margin to pay for the assignment, much easier to just cover the option 2-5min before fri close or just hedge the shares vs assignment. So is net net zero shares after Saturday’s assignment.

2 Likes

Can someone explain, why YTD shows +453.5% and yet if we add the months up it shows around +203% !

1 Like

Because gains are compounded

4 Likes

Simple Vix trade 75.7%—Max Drawdown?
I looked the chart and don’t understand why. Do i miss something?

Uvxy reverse split, glitch on c2. I believe c2 also glitched sold their uvxy position and went short uvxy the day if the split.

Absolutely. This probably needs manual fixing.

:see_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Pretty bad slippage on trades again. The strategy on C2 marks the short Puts at 50c
But my IB account autotrade shows I got filled at 5c … Not happy

7/14/17 9:35 RH1721S60 RH 60 put exp 07/21/17 Short 10 0.50 $0.05