Criteria for searching in the Grid

Profit factor has the same problem as a win rate: use martingale or close only trades with income and wait for price to come back to your entry - you’ll get huge profit factor.

2 Likes

I’m agree with GaryLynn2 and SwissManagedFutures, the age of the strategy is the most important part of the filter. You need to evaluate if a strategy have consistency through different periods of trading and the only way to know that, is time.

Is there a way in the grid to search for all systems trading a specific instrument? I would like to see what my competition is doing trading the Emini ES

Thanks

RedArt

I am afraid you don’t really have any competition out there. After seeing your ES performance most everyone who was dealing in that space has quit the business and moved to Florida.

Besides you are supposed to bring your independent thinking and original research. Copying others ideas defeats the purpose.

There is another element when looking at the Profit Factor… and that is the trading frequency. Higher trading frequency systems can be more profitable with a lower Profit Factor than a low frequency system with a high profit factor. We use profit factor as an important tool in our own algo development… but you have to keep an eye on the frequency that it is employed.

1 Like

RedArt,

You can try this query in C2Explorer:

var EsTrades = 
      from trade in C2TRADES
      where trade.Symbol == "@ESM6"
      select trade.SystemId;

TABLE = from syst in C2SYSTEMS
        where EsTrades.Contains(syst.SystemId)
        select syst;

Regards,
ACA

2 Likes

I don’t need to copy anyone’s ideas. I got my own, i am just curious of the competition out there. 76WEST comes to mind and many others are similar to hers with 2-3 pt scalps. I do better than that.

If I were searching for a system, I would simply SORT by annualized returns (Descending), and go down the list, skipping systems I don’t like.

I believe this is better than having preconceived filters such as AGE>=100. With such a rule, you might miss a great system whose age is 99.

2 Likes

Isn’t lower number of trades better than more number of trades? Why pay commission and spread?

It takes a certain number of trades before the results of a system can be trusted to be statistically representative. Good performance with a few trades might be luck.

1 Like

I think for statistical significance the number of days is more important than the number of trades. I have a strategy that did about 2-3 trades per month over 4 years and almost doubled my money every year. I am rolling that out in collective2, but I guess people won’t like the very few number of trades. Which is fine.

If you have such a strategy and will start it on C2, you can always point to the old results in the Strategy description. If you have the past results publicly available, it is good to let people know so they can check it. And if you continue the same strategy here, it will attract more subscribers.

Well, it looks like an error in C2Explorer.
The symbol should be “@ESM16”.
But “@ESM6” is there too…
I need to look at it.

1 Like

Grid is a great resource. I sort 180+ days, 100+ trades, profit:loss, sharpe, calmer, etc… After narrowing strategies I download closed trades to spreadsheet and sort. This has revealed some surprises (i.e. strategy trading $50k one day and $250k the next).

1 Like

How come?

On each strategy page, the percentage of winning months is visible next to the profit factor.
Does anyone know how to filter the winning months on C2? I can’t find anything in the Grid.

3 Likes