Help box

Is there a way to turn off the new help box that shows up when you click on a system? I’ve tried “no thanks” and the X, but it keeps coming back.

Thanks,

I second that. It would be useful for vendors or anyone who has to log in multiple times a day to not have to constantly deal with it, maybe we could have the option to permanently disable it.

Yes, I’ll make that an option soon. Hang in there.

I thought the microsoft paperclip was the most annoying creation ever, until this.

The first draft of the “dynamic tips” feature had an animated image of my face talking to the user. I’m quite sure that would have been the most annoying software creation ever, Niles.

Are you working to fix this? Or will it be around a while?

Thanks,

Craig

Craig (and others):

I want to make sure I clarify exactly what the problem is with the “dynamic tip box.” In theory, here is how it should work:

Once you close the tip box, it disappears and stays dormant as a little tiny glowing question mark at the top-left corner of the screen. Each time you visit a system details page, you will see the little tiny question mark, but that is all you should see – not a big tip box containing text or advice.

I had assumed this little question mark would not be annoying or obtrusive to people, but your post here raises the following questions:

1) First, I want to make sure that the software actually functions as was intended. Can you please confirm that, once you have closed the “big tip box” (containing text and advice), you from then on see only a little tiny question mark hiding in the top-left corner. In other words, I want to make sure there’s not some software error which keeps insisting that the full-size tip box appear, even after you’ve closed it once.

2) Second, assuming that the software is working as designed, I want to understand if the design itself is not good. Specifically: is it seriously annoying that a little question mark – and only a little question mark – appears on the upper left-corner of the screen when you visit a system page?

Anyone can feel free to comment on these questions. Gently please, my friends. My ego has already been crushed by the early user feedback about these new features…

Matthew

I generally agree with the previous posters. To someone who has been here for any length of time, they are a distraction and an annoyance.

Oftenm when things pop up on windows or the web, you are generally given a check box to the effect that “don’t show this anymore.” This is what you need.

Understand that to people who are newer, they are interesting the first few times. When you have been here awhile, you bang your head against the wall when you have no option to turn them off.

Sometimes, I feel that way about the popup “feature your system here” I want to reach in and grab it by the throat. Sometimes, it appears every time you go in and out of that window.

I would suggest spending a little time on all features like this, and provide the option to make them go away.

1. No, it is not functioning as intended. Everytime you vist the page or refresh it starts over, ie I go to the system page, it pops up, I minimise it, I then go to a page behind the system page, say new trade entry, then I go back to public details and back it pops up again. What’s worse is the huge hypothetical stats warning which covers almost the whole screen which you have to say you accept the risks before you look at each page although I haven’t seen that recently so not sure if you’ve turned that off or what normally prompts it. That’s what I’m getting anyway. So understandably it’s pretty annoying if all you are doing is going back and forth across different pages of your own various systems all day.

2) The little question mark is fine, you don’t know it’s there, the problem is 1) above, getting it there in the first place.

Here too, the problem is 1).

OK, I’ve made changes which should make the help box act correctly.

That is, once you make the help box hide in a “dormant” state, C2 should remember that fact from page to page, and visit to visit. If this is not the behavior you see as of 9:20 pm ET on Tuesday, let me know.

OK, it’s better, but it’s remembering for each individual system page only and not for the session, in order words the second time you go to a system page fine it won’t reappear, but it still appears for the first time you visit each system within one login session. It would be better if it did it for an entire login session not just one system at a time.

In case that’s not clear here’s what’s happening:

login

visit broadsword forex, minimise help box

visit slow and steady, minimise help box

revisit broadsword forex, no pop-up

visit exlence, minimise help box

revisit slow and steady, no pop-up

Obviously we just want to minimise it once when we login and not see it again!

Hi Matthew,

Is it possible to set it so that it disappears by IP address and/or computer (cookie)? For example, whether I am logged in or not, I would like to be able to click the "I agree" for the hypothetical warning one time on one system page and also click the "No Thanks" for the help one time on one system page, and then your site will always recognize my computer (logged in or not) and never show those 2 prompts ever again on any system page. In this way, these boxes will still pop up for users who are new to the site (and they can then turn off those features when they wish).

Other C2 users: Comments?

That is how it currently works. When you click I AGREE it remembers your setting for 7 days on a machine-by-machine basis.

For some strange reason, it doesn’t seem to be working on my computer (with IE7). I guess I need to check my cookie settings.

But it’s not doing that, are you sure that’s not on a system basis also rather than machine as I have had the hypo box appear several times again this evening when I scroll down on system pages.

OK. I’m just going to add a switch to turn the damn thing off. Hopefully by the end of today. Please hang in there until then.

Why don’t you just have it active for the 30 days of a new subscription? Longtimers just don’t really need it…

MK - Ever get the feeling you shouldnt have bothered?

p.s. how are your ideas for qualifying for appearance on the grid going?

I have added "never bug me again" functionality to the dynamic tip box. Please let me know if it still bugs you, despite this…