Tomorrows Election

I am wondering who will be the next president and what will it do to the market?

I believe Obama will win and the stock market will tank.

Any others like to share their insight?

Rick Haines

I am not American, so probably my view is distorted. But I expect that the effect of race is underestimated in the polls, and that McCain will win. Also the prospect of an economical recession will lead to fear and conservatism, which leads to the same conclusion. Also most Dutch people believe that Obama will win, and they are usually wrong :wink: But I wouldn’t bet on it.

I think Obama will win.

I think the market will dip initially (as it’s priced in) and then rally very strongly into next week.

Interesting Jules, something innocent like race might save us from something evil, Marxism. May sound good to some but never the less, evil.

The market might recover Jon, but how long until the eternal bear runs the economy? Gee, wasn’t a bear the symbol of the Soviet Union?

I think the market will rally once the uncertainty over who will become President in eliminated. I think if McCain wins it’ll rally more.gA

If McCain wins everyone outside the US will be absolutely astonished. Bookmakers in the UK started paying out on an Obama victory two weeks ago. Even though I think Obama will win easily it’s still a lot closer than the rest of the world thinks.

I can’t judge for the whole world, but with respect to my own country, the Netherlands, I believe that most people “expect” the Democrat candidate to win simply because that is what they hope for. Compared to the average Dutch politician every Democrat candidate is extremely right-wing and they can’ t imagine that people would vote on someone who is even further to the right. This is narrow-minded of course.

This is what I find interesting: That two very similar cultures can have so very different political spectra, and hardly be aware of it.

Obama will win, but it looks like the market is ok with that.

"the market is ok with that"

The markets are relieved to see an end to the Bush admin. It doesn’t matter who wins the markets will go up for the short term.

www.stockmarketstudent.com