Charging customers off-site

Hi strategy managers,

In the subscription page C2 stated:

“Alternately, if you’d like to charge your customers off-site, please [contact our sales team]. We have plans very reasonable plans available for managers that want to charge their users outside of Collective2.”

Has anyone ever tried charging their customers off-site? What does that look like? Does this mean there is no limit?

I’m thinking of charging based on scaling, and wondering if it’s possible off-site? Example: if they scale 100%, then it will be charged as advertised. If they scale 200%, then they will be charged 2x the subscription.

Thanks.

FYI regulators may see that as charging by AUM and require you to register.

Just trying to figure out what they mean by “charging customers off-site”.

Just wanted to clarify this part is what I think regulators may not allow:

I think it means if you have your own outside customers,C2 may help you charging them . You may ask C2 directly .

Regarding “charging off-site,” there are two different issues.

First, there is the question of what’s allowed by law within the U.S. (and most other countries where C2 operates). The relevant rule is that you cannot charge a customer based on percentage of profits, or based on assets under management, unless you are properly registered with a relevant regulator. (The regulatory regime depends on asset class.)

From the narrower perspective of Collective2, when we say “please do not charge your customers off-site,” we mean the following. We spend a lot of money and effort to bring people to Collective2, and to make it a place where they want to stay. If you are a strategy developer on Collective2, when you find a customer on C2, you should not make a private arrangement with a subscriber such that the subscriber pays you directly, outside of the C2 mechanism. Obviously, that’s a temptation, because it would allow a strategy developer to avoid paying C2. But it’s not sustainable for us, and so we do not allow it.

I understand that there are exceptions, nuances, and gray areas. For example, if you already have a large set of customers, whom you acquired outside of C2, then we don’t expect the same business model as the more typical case (in which you find customers on C2.) If this scenario describes you, then just send us an email (help@collective2.com) about your business, and what you’re trying to do, and we’ll work something out.

Thank you for the explanation.