Collective2 Hacked?

Please post the entire letter excluding personal info.

Matthew Pay Pal does seem like a good idea. After all that is how you pay us vendors.

Rick

Matthew Pay Pal does seem like a good idea. After all that is how you pay us vendors.

Rick

Luca -

Paypal’s system is better, but they can be hacked too. It would just be more difficult. One rogue employee, or one unsecured backdoor at Paypal is all that is needed.

I’ll bet this is not the first time your data (and everyone elses) has been stolen from some merchant, somewhere, sometime. Many times nothing comes of it, and you don;t even realize it happened.

The key is to always be cautious, and always have a backup plan (multiple credit cards, multiple bank accounts, handy phone numbers for credit bureaus.)

Luca - I agree.

Ebay’s shareholder value would plummet if Paypal was hacked. The possibility of it occurring are remote.

C2 is in the business of auditing trading systems and providing a trading automation service. It should outsource those aspects of the business which are not critical success factors.

Paypal are better suited to receiving and processing payments. Afterall that is at the foundation of their customer value proposition.

1. I already have a text message delivered to my mobile phone each and every time a transaction occurs, so i am safe (free service of my bank).

2) Paypal one and only business is security.

They are side to side with visa mastercard etc and in case of a problem they shut down and replace every credit card calling their customers at home.

They pay security experts from all over the world.

Keep in mind this: if they breach paypal you FOR SURE could not have done better with any other site on earth .

I agree PP is the best.

you don’t need to cancel a credit card - you just request a new number, telling your CC company you think it was compromised. Over the years, I have had my CC replaced several times (recommended by THEM rather than ME) due to suspicious activity. They like to be careful.

"One rogue employee, or one unsecured backdoor at Paypal is all that is needed. "

I doubt that it is this easy. That is their lifeblood. Small sites like C2 doing it themselves are easy targets. There should never have been CC#s stored on C2. There are numerous CC payment processors for perhaps 1.7% per transx, and a tiny fee. Now, the C2 reputation has been shredded.

The likelihood of a site like C2 being hacked is probably at least an order of magnitude higher than something like PP.

Indeed, it’s difficult to trust C2 after this. What an infuriating burden this is to take care of while I’m traveling… Especially because in modifying my Autotrade information, my broker login and password still show up in plain text. Why C2 continues to do this, I don’t know.

In addition, C2 is continuing along as though nothing has happened, with renewals coming up in a few days despite many not having a replacement card. And why should we risk yet another card without some assurances about the site security? And by assurances, I don’t mean “we had gaping security holes before, but not now, because I said so. You’ll have to trust us on that.”

I don’t think you can ever be fully secure, autotrading…This is the “risk of error” I mentioned before…