Don't miss the current market gift horse

Prediction:

1. The government WILL eventually open
  2. Just as each party is blaming each other now, they will each declare victory when they settle.
  3. Moronic behavior will once again present opportunity for investors

Situation:

1. Currently, the market AND volatility are both trending upward

Opportunity for subs:
Pick a really good VIX strategy and a really good market trend strategy. Make sure they both have good risk controls and you will be happy.

4 Likes

This weekend I went back to look at S&P500 behavior during previous government shutdowns. To my surprise, they were not big events in the stock market. Typically, the market tended down a little during the early part of the shutdown–and up after the shutdown ended–but it wasn’t usually dramatic. I didn’t bother to compute exact %s.

I also went back to look at the response to the 2011 debt ceiling crisis in 2011, followed immediately by a downgrade of US debt. The market took a 17% hit from July 22 through Aug. 5, after which it bounced around a bit until it bottomed slightly lower nearly 2 months later on Oct. 3. Then it took off.

Just guessing: If this is like the previous actual shutdowns (and unlike the debt ceiling crisis), then the market might wander a bit until it’s resolved and then move higher. So the advice offered by Agathos1 seems quite plausible.

1 Like

You’re exactly right. Barring anything unforeseen, it will be a wandering market which is good for traders