NSTk buy stop @ 8.01

Hi matt, I had a buy-stop for NSTK @ $8.01 on friday, the stock traded through that price, but the order never got entered. What happened?

Let me take a look. We had quite a few of these issues on Friday. I am tempted always to blame a bad quote feed, but let me investigate. I will respond shortly!

MK

I thought it might have been my quote machine, but I checked the time and sales and it did indeed trade at 8.01.

BTO 1,000 NSTK 10.95 9/27/04 9:31 open,

Shouldn’t it show: BTO 1,000 NSTK 8.01 9/24/04 9:30 open ?

The market opened at 10.95, alas.

Regarding your question as to why you wreen’t filled yesterday, you set a stop at 8.01. The high of the day was 8.01. The system will not fill on a stop/limit unless the quote trades through (i.e. goes above 8.01 in this case).

This is a philosophical issue: the idea is that in real life you would not be guaranteed a fill (although you might get it) unless the market moved through your price. We try to present the worst-case scenario to potential system subscribers.

Matthew

A stop order is supposed to become a market order when the price trades at or above the specified price. So when the price traded at 8.01, a market order should have been activated. This is how all my brokerage systems work, this is NASD & SEC regulation. That is why I put a buy stop @ $8.01 which is .01 above the previous days high, rather then put a buy stop @ $8 which according to you would only become active if the price hit a minimum of $8.01. If the system only fills stop orders when it trades above the stop price not at the price then the stop order feature is not properly implemented.

Below is a link to the SEC website which gives the legal definition of a stop order in the first paragraph.

http://www.sec.gov/answers/stopord.htm

quoting “A stop order is an order to buy or sell a stock once the price of the stock reaches a specified price, known as the stop price. When the specified price is reached, your stop order becomes a market order.” - http://www.sec.gov/answers/stopord.htm