"Return" column on Leaderboard

On the Leaderboard I sorted “Return” from high to low. The result is a confusing mix of “Cumulative Return” and “Annual Return” (average). Seemingly, the Annual Return is used for strategies older than a year.

I think it would help if the all the data in a given column was measured the same way for each system.

1 Like

I think the reason for this, is that strategies that are older than a year have a way to measure annual return, whilst those that are not have to be measured some way as well. One cannot rely on both cumulatives or both annuals. For one reason, cumulative measurement would deny the algorithms with a long history to show their progress (but also regress) from their past years. Low-risk algorithms that have been here for years rely on that. Cumulative on younger algorithms would seem smart, if those did not blow up before their one-year anniversary. They only look good on scrappers and high-risk algorithms. Next, annuals would be impossible, as it would mean that young algorithms must be predicted upon by the data given. This would mean that a 3-month old algorithm might be wrongfully multiplied by 4. Most algorithms with high risk start off very well and therefore would imply generally high returns, but from experience, most fall within 6-8 months. That would be offsetting potential customers.

So… No, there is no good way to settle it.

There’s a similar issue when I look at my strategy pages. I’ll get a pop-up that says:

“You strategy has returned +69.9% since inception! Share the news on Facebook!”

And I just want to yell at the C2 website because it is 69.9% annual return (+364% since inception)

Cumulative is not the same as annual and shouldn’t be used interchangeably.