API: XReplace to update a stoploss

Once a week I issue several BTO orders in the premarket period with associated signal.stoploss levels. These are relatively wide stops. I then wait until after the market opens, look at the live market price and send another signal with signal.action=“STC”, signal.xreplace= and signal.stoploss=. Is this correct?

After done, I am seeing this listing:
C2_Stoploss

The first line is my original BTO.

The second line is my earlier wide stop loss that I used XReplace to cancel. This appears to have been correctly canceled.

Are the 3rd and 4th lines the correct setup for a replaced stoploss? I would have expected to only see one line representing the STC at my new stoploss level of the original BTO order.

Thank you

I assume what you are trying to do here is:

1. You use the Signal API to place an initial “bracket order” before the market opens. This bracket order contains an entry (Buy at market) and two associated orders: one a profit target (i.e. sell at limit) and one a stop loss (sell at stop).

2. After the market opens, you want to adjust your stop loss with a new stop-loss price. You use the Signal API to issue a cancel-and-replace (xreplace).

If my assumptions above are correct, then I see a small error in the way you used the API to issue the XRPLC.

When you attempted to xreplace your stop, you sent:

'gtc' => 1,
    'xreplace' => 131640089,
    'gtc' => 1,
    'quant' => 900,
    'systemid' => 129373845,
    'symbol' => 'EGO',
    'stoploss' => '11.09',

but also:

'market' => 1

And that is a problem.

If you want to issue a new signal in place of signal id 131640089 (which was a stop order), and if you want your new signal also to be a stop loss, then set market = 0.

In other words, you should either:

• set market =1 (i.e. a market order)
    OR
  • set stoploss = non-zero value and market=0 (a stop-loss order)

When C2 sees your “market=1” it ignores your stop-loss price. That’s why your stop effectively disappeared and became a market order.

Hope this helps.

Hi Matthew,

Following up on my earlier request for help, I have made some changes, but I am unsure when I look at the listing below if things are correct:

image001.png

I have attached the request all Trades Overview, plus JSONs that reflect:

• The BTO POST for the initial BTO order

• The Reply to the BTO POST

• The XReplace POST for the new stop loss

• The Reply to the XReplace POST

Can you comment on whether I am correctly set up for a TS at 29.24?

Thank you,

David

(Attachment C2_Reply_US_WQ_C2_requestAllTrades_overview.json is missing)

(Attachment C2_REPLY_US_WQ_C2_FBC_XReplace_131891645.json is missing)

(Attachment C2_PAYLOAD_US_WQ_C2_FBC_XReplace_131891645.json is missing)

(Attachment C2_PAYLOAD_US_WQ_C2_FBC_BTO_131891644.json is missing)

(Attachment C2_REPLY_US_WQ_C2_FBC_BTO_131891644.json is missing)

David -

Your file attachments aren’t accepted by this public forum software, but I did have a chance to look at the logs. I see an error in how you’re using the API.

When you tried to cancel-and-replace (XRPLC) the initial stop order, you had an error in syntax. You sent your xreplace order like this:

{
'xreplace' => '131891645',
'gtc' => 1,
'quant' => 700,
'systemid' => 129373845,
'symbol' => 'FBC',

all of the above is correct so far. But, unfortunately, the following is an error:

'stoploss' => '29.24',
}

Actually, you should have specified:

'stop' => '29.24'

(notice: not stoploss)

I understand why this is confusing, but let me try to explain the variations of the terminology from a higher-level perspective.

When you first submit an OPENING order to C2 – one which will create a position – you specify the opening signal parameters such as action: BTO or STO (or SSHORT).

You also specify the order type – i.e. is the order a ‘stop’, ‘limit’, or ‘market’ order?

Now, whenever you want to XREPLACE an order that is a STOP order, you specify a new ‘stop’ price.

Okay, then… what is ‘stoploss’?

Well, ‘stoploss’ is a convenience parameter provided by the API that lets you ALSO specify a stop loss that hangs off your entry order. Any ‘stoploss’ you specify will itself become a ‘stop’ type of order, but note that the entry order itself can also be a ‘stop.’

In other words, it’s conceivable that you can enter a position using a STOP order, and then once that position is created, it can itself have a stoploss. An example of this might be:

{
action => 'BTO',
stop => 100.12,
stoploss => 90.01,

}

Notice the excerpt above has BOTH a ‘stop’ (telling C2 the entry order itself is a ‘stop’ order; i.e. you want to buy when the price crosses above 100.12) and an associated ‘stoploss’ (telling C2: "Hey, create another STOP order conditional upon the entry; this conditional order will be Sell Stop 90.01).

If I want to xreplace either of the two orders that results from the command above (i.e. either the Buy @ Stop 100.12; or the Sell @ Stop 90.01) I need to specify a ‘stop’ parameter when I issue my xreplace. That is because each of these orders already has a ‘stop’ price. Once the stop is set, you can XREPLACE it by specifying a new ‘stop’ parameter.

TLDR: use ‘stoploss’ in the initial entry signal to set an exit-order-stop-loss. Any subsequent XRPLC changes of either the entry or the conditional exit should use ‘stop’.

Thanks Matthew,

I will make this change and report back - hopefully with success - after my next round of orders next week.

David