C2 doesn't handle holiday trading hours correctly

Looking at this system

[LINKSYSTEM_37780234]

And this roundtrip trade today:

7/5/10 10:02 BUY 1 @EMDU0 696.67 7/5 12:47 691 n/a ($566)

The problem is that the exit signal came after the equity futures markets have closed (I figure they have shorter trading hours today). Naturally my trading process was unhappy that there was a market order when the market was closed.

Also, not sure where that $691 fill price came from.

Well said Daniel. And there are many other strange things on RD30 stats.

To start with, European futures (DAX, BUND, CAC40, etc. ) are usually denominated in Euros, so if you enter short at 5856.67 (???) and get out at 5832.17(??) you lose 33.5 Dax points, at 25 euro each it is a loss of 837.5Eur, not dollars, so in Dollar you would have lost over 1,000. Same for the preceeding 3 bund losses .

This is something I have noticed in other stats where there are Euroepan futures. This messes stats considerably, IMHO and should be addressed.

Secondly I still do not understand why autotrading shows multiple lots ( Dax, for instance has 9, for a margin requirement of, I seems to remember, about 70Keur) but the official stats still show 1 lot. So in the stats, I guess, this will go down as 837.5$ (wrong, Euro!) loss , instead of over 7,500Eur loss. I guess I am getting something wrong, but it would be important to explain how the stats are calculated. If it is one lot, the total calculated return would not be really “cumulative”, in the sense that we would add profit and losses to a pot that maintains 100K initial capital as basis for risk management.

What am I getting wrong?

Jools:

C2 converts the results of non-USD-denominated futures trades back into dollars, since the C2 Model Account is denominated in US dollars.

Rearding your other question, I don’t really understand what you are asking, i.e. "I still do not understand why autotrading shows multiple lots ( Dax, for instance has 9, for a margin requirement of, I seems to remember, about 70Keur) but the official stats still show 1 lot."

What are you referring to?

Ah, but I do see that for some reason C2 is not converting that EUR 837 into USD, which it should be doing, so I will look into that and see why conversion isn’t being done for that contract.

Matt, Many thanks for your reply and for looking into it. You may also want to have a look at the Bund and other euro denomitaed contracts. I have seen this euro problem in other systems’ stats too.

As for the other isssue, in the Dax example, I am not sure anymore what the numbers mean! I see that if I “hide autotrade data”, there has been a 1 lot trade, bought at some strange 5865.67 (not sure where the decimals are coming from) and sold at 5832.17, for a loss of 837€ or 1050$. If I click on “show autotrade data” I see a 9 in the” #” column. I assumed that the system actually traded 9 lots, and I asked myself why.

Looking more closely at it, I now am not sure that 9 is the number of lots traded. If it is, how comes that in the next line we sold 10 EMD lots but bought back 9? Or we sold 18 Bund but bought back 16, etc.? If it is somethnig else, I apologise for the misunderstanding, but you must admit it is extremely confusing.

Regards

Matt

Thank you for fixing the Euro issue.

I still do not understand what are the numbers under the column # in the Show autotrade Data . In RD 30 right now you have Sell 12 Buy 11 for the last trade and buy 13 sell 13 for the trade before, sell 12 buy 10 for the trade before and so on. The stats however consider always a trade for 2 lots.

Could you explain please?

The AutoTrade data view you are asking about shows the aggregated AutoTrade data that has been reported back to us by our partner brokers.

The quantities you see will not match the "Model Account" trade quantities that C2 displays on a system page, because they are completely different numbers.

The C2 Model Account shows you what trade quantity was recommended by the system at the moment the signal was published. It is based on the model account balance at that time.

In contrast, the AutoTrade data tells you how much actual quantity was traded overall (at least, what we know about), across all known brokerage accounts, based on what partner brokers reported back to us. Remember that quantities might seem strange and counterintuitive because people drop in and out of AutoTrading at various times – sometimes in the middle of trades, etc.

The purpose of this "view" of the data is to give you a sense of the AutoTrade quantities for a particular system, and to let you compare C2 prices with actual broker fill prices. Also, some people might find it useful to know a general order of magnitude for the trading quantity following a certain system, because a large amount of trading may imply less favorable fills as more people follow the system, depending on the liquidity of the instruments traded.

The goal of C2 is to provide as much transparency as possible, within reasonable technology and privacy constraints.

Got it. Thank you very much

Mr.Klein,

Want to hire a great virtual software test engineer cheap?

Someone that tells you the bugs and how your software can be improved?

Simply offer a bounty to all here.

Of a credit of $25 towards your fees for any suggestion or bug that you find useful.

Regards

Ron

Generally, we ask C2 Members to report any problems and suggestions and we try to fix or implement as best we can. It’s not feasible for us to pay people to make these reports.

Thanks for taking the time to suggest it, though.