Can someone tell me if this is a "Martingale System"

Can someone tell me if this is a “Martingale System” link here: https://collective2.com/details/100859365

1 Like

No, it is not a Martingale System.

It is not a “martingale” based on classical definition of “martingale”, but he is adding to losing position quite often. So IMO it is a controlled “martingale” type strategy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will it be sustainable? because it still uses the martingale on losing trades?

i think i might pass on this 1

If you check his trades back in June, it was actually a Martingale System.
So you can exclude his performance up to June.

1 Like

If he continue to use the same approach, then why not. 90% of the futures systems here uses averaging down and still survive for more or less long periods.

1 Like

You guys don’t know what is a martingale. Ralph Vince in his book TheHandbook of Portfolio Mathematics at at page 184 define it as follow:

Many “staking”systems have been created by gamblers throughout history.
One, the martingale, has you double your bet after each loss until
ultimately, when a win does occur, you are ahead by one unit. However,
the martingale strategy can have you making enormous bets during a losing
streak. On the surface, this would appear to be the ultimate betting progression,
as you will always come out ahead by one unit if you can follow the
progression to termination. Of course, if you have a positive mathematical
expectation, there is no need to use a scheme such as this. Yet it seems this
should work for an even-money game as well as for a game where you have
a small negative expectancy.

I posted a while ago on C2 forum how a system using martingale approach will look like: Pretty interesting the EC that displays trade close to trade close AND a detailed EC that include intraday data.

EDIT: Of course The drawback of this approach is that is necessary to have an infinite wealth which unfortunately does not seem the case for c2 players…

1 Like

We mean semi martingale. .

1 Like

What about this strategy? Martingale?

The trader sometimes adds more positions on losing trades…

Not really, no. As stated in their description, expect to “build up” a position, meaning they go in at about half their expected position, and if the trade goes with them they exit and take the profit, but if the trade goes against them and they still expect the trade to move forward they go in for more contracts to reduce their investment per contract. There are few losing trades so far, but on those trades there was 1 loss with no adding positions, and 2 trades where they added more contracts one time, then exited. In contrast, two of their winning trades built up a losing position twice and one built up 6 times before exiting at a modest profit.

A real concern though would be trying to follow this strategy at a lower percentage, instead of 100% or higher. The trade leader makes no attempt to use contract multiples that would easily allow trading at 50% or even lower, commonly building up the trade only 1 contract at a time. That’s ok, as long as you don’t mind not really replicating the trade record reliably. Some trades you may come out ahead, but others not.

Agree - doesn’t look strict martingale or anything. The only thing that concerns me is the big first trade. 50% of his winnings have come from a big trade on just about day one of the account. I feel like I see that alot here. People gamble and if the first trade pays off, then they stick with the system, otherwise they just start a new one.
That being said, he has made 10% from the time his first subscribers came in and has ridden through turbulent markets pretty well.
THAT being said, the strategy is still so young I wouldn’t touch it. But shows promise IMO.

Dude has 40 subscribers from what I can tell. Totally cleaning up.

Just the same strategy they all use. Swing for the fences with paper Money first few trades. Get those performance and leader board. Once you get subs, go conservative and apply for TOS. If hit by big draw down in the future. Create new user name and new strategy rinse and repeat.

Since this is a CTA, can the developer shows his past trades from several years ago (real trades and has been audited by 3rd party).