Drawdwn & risk question

Matthew,

I read through some old threads where people were claiming the drawdwn (reported for each trade) had errors. Is that (still) the case, or have these problems been solved?

Second, why is drawdwn “n/a” for many trades with a short timeframe. Does this mean it’s (close to) zero? I am confused, because sometimes it reads “n/a” for trades that had a loss, in which case I would expected the drawdown to be at least equal to the loss.

C2 does pretty extensive testing on max drawdowns by looking at each trade and going through 1-minute bar data during the length of the trade to determine the worst drawdown. Since quote feeds sometimes have bad ticks, it is possible that the data C2 uses will have a bad price in it, which might make for an incorrect drawdown stat. For what it’s worth, we try to use software to scrub the data, but bad ticks do sneak in, and when they do, usually the system vendor will report the bad stat and it will be corrceted relatively quickly.

Drawdown stats are calulated on a delayed basis – that is, it may be up to a day before a stat appears for a given trade. That’s why you might see “N/A” for the stat. Alternately, if the historical data is so “dirty” and full of bad ticks as to make the calc useless, you may see an N/A for that number, too. But that is pretty rare.

Don’t believe it? I have this trade:

BTO 84 GBP/THB 69.90750 11/12/06 19:06 STC 84 70.07929

11/24/06 3:29

$308,700

Fix

High

$3,952

Notice the 300K drawdown that never happened? because MK claims that this instrument had a 14700 pips drawdown. The worst price was 68.64 Quantity open at that time 21 Average open price at that time 70.11 Can you imagine incurring a 14700 pip drawdown? It is just common sense that he has made a mistake in the pip calculations. But he fails to see it. There are several examples like this. But he wont fix it because of his incompetence. The whole drawdown and risk column is a cruel joke. And the worst part of it is this is reflected in the equity curve and some dumb asses believe that too.

Pal,

I believe that MK mentioned somewhere in the forum that he’ll fix any unbelievable trade if you send him a statement for it.

Just use his promise and fix it :wink:

Eu

I have sent this problem to him over 6 times but he still has not fixed it. We had a conversation about this problem and he fails to see any error in his calculations. He hopes that the problem will go away if he ignores it. He underestimates me. Whose fault is that :slight_smile:

(sigh) Send him a statement for the trade. He won’t be able to avoid the fact. It’s very easy instead of empty complains how C2 doesn’t fit your personal imagination on every corner.

Eu

Are you nuts? The data is right there on the closed trades page. It is my mistake starting this conversation with you.

(sigh) S-t-a-t-e-m-e-n-t . It’s serious accusation about falsification of trades for the kind of business as C2.

From my experience C2’s support is always sensitive to facts. Period.

Eu

Is the closed trades, not good enough to verify the calculations?. Eu, you seriously have to have your head examined.

> (sigh) S-t-a-t-e-m-e-n-t .

It should be clear by now Pal has never seen one. His posts on

open and closed equity are evidence he has never had a futures

account.

Is the closed trades, not good enough to verify the calculations?

It’s good enough if it’s auditable.

Eu

Wrong. All you need to is to open your eyes and mind.

Nevertheless, I’m not entirely convinced that he is wrong in this case. I don’t know enough about forex, but his claim that the lowest price was 68.64 in that period seems reasonable if I look to the Yahoo charts. Could that cause a $300K DD?

PS. Pal, about which system are we talking?

I did not say there were anything wrong with the data. Only the calcluations used to arrive at the drawdown. C’mon Jules, is that so hard for you understand?

Ah, but I understood your complaint was about the data. That was what started the thread, I believe. I have little experience with forex calculations, so I won’t post about it now.

Not only data, but sometimes also the calculations that go with it.

ps: if the data is wrong, usually one would see a no calc there.

Actually, the occurrence of No Calcs is quite common for some systems. When I analyze some, I have seen occurrences of 10-15% "No calcs" in the track record.

Select quotes from Palsun Anand…

“But he wont fix it because of his incompetence.”

“I have sent this problem to him over 6 times but he still has not fixed it.”

“All you need to is to open your eyes and mind.”

“C’mon Jules, is that so hard for you understand?”

"Are you nuts? The data is right there on the closed trades page. It is my mistake starting this conversation with you."

I see Palsun is busy making new friends everywhere he posts.

Hint: Perhaps they didn’t listen to you, Palsun, because they know from prior experience that most likely there’s nothing of substance to listen to.

For example, Rocket Science has 4 "No calcs" on the first page of the track record…