If You Can't Beat The Indexes DON"T TRADE!

This is common sense. Here are the performance charts for SPY, the S&P 500 Index and QQQ, the Nasdaq 100 Index.

If your trading system or method cannot substantially trounce these indexes, you need to throw in the towel and find something else to do!

I do not say this to be harsh but you are wasting your time.

The SOXX does well over 20% per year.

In my days in Chicago back in the mid 1990’s professional floor traders made a ton and they were risk averse.

As a full time trader, I would say 50% Annual return would be your bare minimum. Otherwise, move on.

We are in luck, sir. Using the Grid, we can sift through all the chaff and find that there are exactly five strategies whose annual return is greater than 50% when applied with a few other token safety parameters: in existence for > 2 years, max drawdown < 50%, profit factor > 0.1. Of these, one is a one-trick pony (Tesla), two others had big wins early on and have not sustained such a high return rate, leaving two futures strategies that are still booming along, both from the same Trade Leader, and each apparently earning several thousands in subscription fees per
month. Perhaps soon (two years) we’ll join them in the stratosphere!

Oh! And both of those are also 100% TOS certified, big plus there for such highflying strategies. Kudos to the Trade Leader.

1 Like

I don’t say this to be harsh but

1. SOXX statement is recency and hindsight bias.
  2. 50% annualized is unrealistic long term.
  3. $1,000,000 with 50% return for 35 years becomes over a trillion. Aka if that statement about people in the 90s was true it was temporary. The greatest long term traders and investors are far far below 50%.
  4. Most people won’t beat the indexes. Virtually none will beat it on a risk adjusted basis in the long run.

I wish you luck with your system but expecting to make 50% annualized for long periods like 10 years just isn’t likely. But I look forward to being proved wrong

4 Likes

If you have read any of mu other posts you see that I am hoping for the same thing! I have run extended backtesting and a very small amount of forward testing in one of my accounts. THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT a viable system for me or anyone else to trade YET.

We will see, won’t we! :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: