Trying to create a daily strategy

I am wondering how would I setup a strategy that will signal based on consecutive closes. An example would be say I want a buy signal to be 3 consecutively higher closes followed by two consecutive lower. further example:
Monday close = 10.00
Tuesday close = 10.25
Weds close = 10.34
Thurs close = 10.20
Friday close = 10.16

I hope this makes sense. I don’t understand how to turn that into code that seetu can use to generate a signal. thanks in advance!

/*
Say we are running this code on Monday.
The last bar in the database is Friday.
Last Friday is Close
Thursday is Ref(Close,-1)
Wednesday is Ref(Close,-2)
Tuesday is Ref(Close,-3)
Monday is Ref(Close,-4)
Friday is Ref(Close,-5)
*/

// Buy signal
Buy = Close < Ref(Close,-1) // Last Fri < Thu
and
Ref(Close,-1) < Ref(Close,-2) // Thu < Wed
and
Ref(Close,-2) > Ref(Close,-3) // Wed > Tue
and
Ref(Close,-3) > Ref(Close,-4) // Tue > Mon
and
Ref(Close,-4) > Ref(Close,-5); // Mon > Fri

// Show signals in Exploration:
Filter = Buy;
AppendColumn(Close,“Last Fri Close”);

thanks. worked perfect. I actually made a mistake on which days needed to be higher/lower but I have it fixed now.

How can I tell it to short shares instead of selling? or buy options, I would prefer options but I cant find anything in the reference for them.

for instance, a buy signal is generated, I want to buy a ATM call option with a minimum of 30 days to exp maximum of 90. then when a sell signal is generated I want to see the call option and buy a ATM put option and continue vice versa.

A type of order (Buy, Sell, Short, Cover) is determined by the SignalType parameter in “C2TradingSignal”.
See https://collective2.com/seetudoc/c2tradingsignal.html
Use sigBTO, sigSTC, sigSTO or sigBTC parameter.

That “option stuff” looks interesting. But it also looks like a lot of work on our side…
I can’t give you any promise.

I think it needs two things:

• to add a new parameter “Symbol” to the “C2TradingSignal” function. This parameter will allow to change the symbol for which a signal will be generated.
  • to create a function findEquityOption( Type, NearMonths) which returns some option symbol.
    (Where Type is “Call” or “Put” and NearMonths is a number of months.)
    Returned option symbol will be used in the C2TradingSignal function as a new symbol.

Example:

OptionSymbol = findEquityOption( “Call”, 3);
C2TradingSignal(sigBTO, Symbol = OptionSymbol )

Do you think it is what you want?

I would just add:

The user of the findEquityOption function probably wants to specify that he wants an at-the-money option. So the Seetu function name ought probably be something like:

findATMoption(underlyingSymbol, putOrCall, 3);

ok cool, c2tradingsignal but how can I backtest that? I got it to generate STO signals under “signals” tab but when I go to statistics it shows nothing under short trades. ideally I would like to be able to backtest a strategy where a buy signal signifies purchase and a sell signifies shorting 100% of the shares we purchased at last buy signal.

as far as options, I really just want to be able to backtest a strategy where instead of purchasing shares, you purchase contracts. so I would guess,

under “buy=” then you would have to have "AND get ATM call option min. 1 month out. AND exit put options IF any are held"
vice versa for sell. sorry im not a programmer so its hard to explain. haha

thanks for the help though made me some money today from the signals I picked up on Friday by purchashing ATM options at open. so I know it works! haha

yes, but then you would have to determine what ATM means, I wonder if it would be easier to have a number and ITM or OTM.
example:
findequityoption(F,call,1OTM,30<=)

where F = symbol and “30<=” equals days to exp.

Be sure you are using correct variables.

“Buy” means “open a long position and test it in Seetu (Backtest)”
“Sell” means “close a long position and test it in Seetu (Backtest)”
“Short” means “open a short position and test it in Seetu (Backtest)”
“Cover” means “close a short position and test it in Seetu (Backtest)”

To generate and see all trading signals use:

C2TradingSignal(sigBTO, sigfilter = Buy); // open a long position on C2; see all trading signals
C2TradingSignal(sigSTC, sigfilter = Sell); // close a long position on C2; see all trading signals
C2TradingSignal(sigSTO, sigfilter = Short); // open a short position on C2; see all trading signals
C2TradingSignal(sigBTC, sigfilter = Cover); // close a short position on C2; see all trading signals

Remarks:

• “C2TradingSignal” uses “Buy”, “Sell”, “Short”, “Cover” under hood:

C2TradingSignal(sigBTO) generates signals where “Buy” is TRUE
C2TradingSignal(sigSTC) generates signals where “Sell” is TRUE
C2TradingSignal(sigSTO) generates signals where “Short” is TRUE
C2TradingSignal(sigBTC) generates signals where “Cover” is TRUE

• “sigfilter” is not necessary. It just drives visibility of signals on the “Signals” page.
    Used as in the example above means: show me all signals.

ah ha… I was not. now it generates short trades as well as cover. But under statistics it shows 0 short trades. ill use an example here
// Buy signal
Buy = Close < Ref(Close,-1)…
Sell = Close > Ref(Close,-1) …
Short= Close > Ref(Close,-1) …
Cover= Close < Ref(Close,-1)…

I didn’t want to take up all kinds of space writing it out. right now I have 4 separate signals like above. it shows all 4 but it doesn’t backtest the way I would like. im a little confused about how to write out what I would like it to do.
IF buy signal, then open new long position or Cover shorts
IF sell signal then close long positions and open shorts

I hope that makes sense.

My fault. Sorry. Try it now.