Why sell winning systems?

This is the appropriate group to discuss, so let’s switch from Craig’s board.

I can only speak for myself, but because I am only 14 years old, I am not allowed to open a broker account. :slight_smile:

The above is a joke, repeat, I was only kidding! Here are some reasons why a trader would sell his/her winning system on C2:

1. He would like to prove his trading ability but he doesn’t want or not allowed to show his real trading account.

2. He is making money anyway, a little extra income can not hurt, supposed more people trading the same way doesn’t effect his system.

3. He can not handle stress with real money, but he does make good calls. By using C2 he transfers the risk to his subscribers, thus allowing him to trade stressfree.

4. He is really trying out a new system and in the process he makes a little extra money.

5. He wants to get in the hedgefund/money management business and he needs to build long term trackrecord. C2 is good if you don’t have 100K to start out with. Supposed that his trades are realistic.

6. He is really 14 years old and can not open a trading account.

I could probably think of more, but I have to go to eat lunch…Good appetite!

Following your numbering scheme

(1) Prove his trading ability to whom and why wouldn’t he be able to show is real trading account?

(2) Agreed (hopefully he is not frontrunning his own signals to increase the profit)

(3) Agreed, some people can’t trade well if their own money is on the line.

(4) Scary - hopefully he is disclosing to his subscribers that they are guinnea pigs for this test

(5) With all due respect to this site, I think a hedge fund would want to see a real track record (using real money, real trades) and not the results posted here. If the provider was trading their own account following their own signals then its not a problem.

I’m not the person who started this tangent in the other thread but as I recall the person stated that he wouldnt trade a system unless the provider was also trading it with real money. That seems like a reasonable condition to me and doesnt violate any of your points above except (3)

Honestly I dont have any problems with vendors selling their systems (otherwise why would I be here) but I do think some of the vendors claims are unrealistic. Like the vendor that describes his system as “the most robust system in the world.” which just happens to have a max drawdown of 146%

1. If you are one of the managers of a big hedgefund, people can not see your results because:

a/ Hedgefunds are not allowed to advertise. It can be also against the HF’s policy.

b/ Your results is just part of the whole return, thus it can not be seen just by looking at the HF’s return.

Why would you want to show it? Ego. Also some people might ask you about your results.

Here is another point I missed:

7. The vendor doesn’t have (for whatever reason) or not enough money to trade with. He still can be a good trader. C2 can allow him to collect a starting capital.

I don’t want to argue the points, I just wanted to point out, that there can be plenty of legitime reasons why would one sell a winning system.

Here is another one:

8. Trader is a retired fellow and just wants to keep sharp by doing a little action on the side. :slight_smile:

In the other thread that seeded this one, it was insinuated that, paraphrasing, “Those who can’t, write books.” While I suppose there is a grain of truth to that, remember that Larry Williams and Jim Rogers write books… (just to name 2)

It’s funny.

Pedro

1. He would like to prove his trading ability but he doesn’t want or not allowed to show his real trading account.

There is exist a thing as NDA that might have a very harsh consequence for breaking it. So-call “prove” isn’t a matter, but I carefully read “Private Policy” of C2. C2 and me under the same jurisdiction and we’re in the same boat. It is no faraway lands to send useless complains to communistic government lol

5. He wants to get in the hedge fund/money management business and he needs to build long term track record. C2 is good if you don’t have 100K to start out with. Supposed that his trades are realistic.

Pure fantasy. C2 cannot be count as a record. Even if trades are realistic hedge guys have additional requirements.

6. He is really 14 years old and can not open a trading account.

lol. As 14 years old you missed one point.

9. Wife If you had a wife that as a hawk monitoring your brokers statements You could be happy with few cents from C2 as pocket money that your wife has no idea. lol

8. Trader is a retired fellow and just wants to keep sharp by doing a little action on the side. :slight_smile:

You can simplify. The trader is just old geezer. :wink:

I don’t want to argue the points, I just wanted to point out, that there can be plenty of legitime reasons why would one sell a winning system.

No. C2 doesn’t pay for that in cash and there are no “winning” systems. Any wins are limited today’s date. If somebody claims future prediction of a system. Hmmm… However if we don’t touch generation of profit from crowd you might have pay back as system vendor, but it’s not money. :wink:

-------

Pete

(1) Prove his trading ability to whom and why wouldn’t he be able to show is real trading account?

As example, the account isn’t his/her own you cannot show it by NDA. But I agree. “Prove” as a reason is really childish.

but I do think some of the vendors claims are unrealistic.

It’s not commercial, but I’m really have a fun from vendors that offer a huge risk to subscribers, but they wouldn’t like to accept small risk of loosing few bucks on subscription fee. It’s totally surrealistic, but it’s in terms of the business :wink:

Eu

Hi Eu,

Honestly, I had a hard time to understand what you are saying, but I take it, you actually agree with me on most of the points. And if a point is childish or hard to believe? That doesn’t mean it is not a valid one and at least 1 vendor is not selling his system for exactly for that reason. Life is always stranger than imagination…

Now you say, for building a trackrecord C2 is not a good place? Let’s say you are a hedgefund manager looking for new talents. You have 2 students fresh out of college, one has absolutelly no trackrecord, the other has at least a year of C2 nicely managed and profitable trading. Which one you are more likely to hire?

I am not saying a C2 record is better than real money accounts, but is still better than nothing.

As for this sentence:

>C2 doesn’t pay for that in cash and there are no “winning” systems. Any wins are limited today’s date.

I take you don’t believe that vendors actually are getting money(aka cash) from C2? Well, they do, end of discussion…

"Let’s say you are a hedgefund manager looking for new talents. You have 2 students fresh out of college, one has absolutelly no trackrecord, the other has at least a year of C2 nicely managed and profitable trading. Which one you are more likely to hire?"

Its a false choice, no hedgefund mgr would hire based C2 track record. I could sign up for 30 C2 systems, trade them all differently and then at the end of the year just show the best one as if it was the only one. Unless you are trading real money it just doesnt matter.

You would be amazed what kind of offers you get in emails once you have a good system. OK, forget about the HF manager, people offering their money to trade it for them is just as good...  :)

Pedro,

Honestly, I had a hard time to understand what you are saying

Honestly, sometimes I’m looking in a mirror and asking myself what was I thinking… So blah-blah-blah or sales aren’t my strong part :wink:

However, about NDA you can ask google and about wife… hmm… I’m afraid you should have a real life experience lol

And if a point is childish or hard to believe?

There was nothing personal. You might have a luck and I’ll never say that “luck” doesn’t exist, because Life is always stranger than imagination…

Let’s say you are a hedgefund manager looking for new talents.

Hedge guys are closed environment. If you think that you can enter from the street, just by showing C2 records… hmm… you must have a good luck. C2 records mean nothing in general, but is still better than nothing. .

You see, I agree and disagree with you at the same time :wink:

I take you don’t believe that vendors actually are getting money(aka cash) from C2? Well, they do, end of discussion…

We have different definition what money is. Period. :wink:

OK, forget about the HF manager, people offering their money to trade it for them is just as good… :slight_smile:

Make it. Don’t waste your time on C2 lol

Pete,

Its a false choice, no hedgefund mgr would hire based C2 track record.

Agreed.

Unless you are trading real money it just doesnt matter.

Not exactly. There are exists old good thing as “connections” :wink:

Eu