The opinions expressed in these forums do not represent those of C2, and any discussion of profit/loss is not indicative of future performance or success. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading. You should therefore carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. You should read, understand, and consider the Risk Disclosure Statement that is provided by your broker before you consider trading. Most people who trade lose money.

API Stock Execution best practices

Hope everyone is having a good time. I’m fairly new to C2 but I’ve been algo trading for a while via TD’s and IB’s API. I’m working on a system and wanted to check what people do as far as the execution goes.
Most my systems trade at the end of the day - on TD/IB I submit limit orders that buy the ask or sell the bid to make sure I get filled. Sometimes (< 10%) I get a partial fill but most of the times everything fills just fine.
I never submit market orders although I mostly trade very liquid stuff - just got brain washed over the years not to do it.

How does this translate to C2?
Is there something like a partial fill?
Have you guys noticed a delay as far as execution goes?
(my servers are on AWS so the delay between IB’s UI and the actual price is almost not noticeable) - will C2 have the same bid/ask at the same time or have you guys seen discrepancies?
All my trades are US stocks - are there any best practices to follow (other than buying low and selling high :wink: )?
I’m still getting used to the Buy to Open vs. Sell to Open - typically I either go long or short and it add/subtracts to the position I have.
Can you have a position that’s long and then add a Sell to Open on the same symbol?
Will this be tracked as two independent positions or just one?

and one final question - what’s the benefit of providing a coupon code? I get the concept but I’m putting myself into a “trade follower’s” shoes and I don’t think half price or even free would make a difference subscribing to a system. If I don’t like the risk reward I wont follow it regardless of the subscription price, if I like the risk reward the reduced price seems like a drop in the bucket compared to the system risk. So I guess I must be overlooking something since there is that much emphasis on this coupon idea.

Sorry for these rookie questions - if there’s an FAQ that covers that just point me to it - I looked but didn’t find anything

Well - I guess my journey on here is short lived. I just got a notification that my API access is not available in the Basic trade leader subscription package and that I’ll have to upgrade to a larger package which offers multiple additional capabilities of which I only need API access. I realize everyone needs to make money but we live in a developer centric world and API access should be one of the most basic capabilities, not a premium offering bundled with lots of additional capabilities that may not be useful. I’d be willing to pay ~ 600 bucks for a yearly BASIC package that offers API access but that doesn’t seem to be an option. Enjoy and good luck in the markets - I’ll take my ball and go home.

1 Like

Sorry to see you go, good luck.

I can understand the frustration. I wish that BrokerTransmit was available for the basic plan too.

We just have to bite the bullet !

Back to C2 Platform