Basics to Avoid Disaster IMHO

I have been on C2 for a while and want to share some basics on how I screen strategies.

This is just one of many things to do, but I think following this helps avoid many of the strategies that eventually end up having very sudden seismic changes in performance.

18 Likes

This post is from interactiveAssets who runs couple of day trading system and most of them are underperforming so he kept them private.
If you are looking for a strategy which can genereagte above 30 percent annullay than avoid intraday time sensitive strategies which relies on quick price movement Most of the money is in swing and strategy trading and you don’t really need to filter out strateegies based on real trades.

Instead look at Cumul. Return , Max Drawdown, Num Trades, Win Trades, Profit Factor, Win Months.

higheer Max Drawdown should not scare you. You can easily manage this by effectively controling size of trade and positions.

Leverage is toatally upto account holder and it’s risk taking capacity and it can be easily manage by position size based on account balance.
Your focus should be quality of alerts ( buy/sell) and win/loss. If you are winning more often and your profits are way larger than your losses than you will make big bucks.
Lastly please compare strategy performace with FDGRX - Fidelity ® Growth Company Fund | Fidelity Investments . If this straegy only generating 5-6 percent more than fund than it’s not worth the hassle. Good luck and happy investing.

It would be nice if @aarjay_singh removed his irrelevant add. Also, I have no day trading strategy. My primary strategy is called Patience is a Virtue and has done quite well. Going back to the point of this post let me explain my reasoning further.

As soon as a subscriber or the trade leaders starts to AutoTrade a strategy all the statistics start to be calculated based off of real trade fill prices. If there is no real fill data as shown in my first post, that means no one - including the strategy manager - has felt comfortable enough yet to AutoTrade the strategy. Also the trade leader doesn’t have to AutoTrade the strategy to get real fills. They can also use the BrokerTransmit system which will have the same net effect.

I do not trust most track records that don’t have performance data based on real fills due to a host of problems. I am by no means the only person that primarily considers data based on real fills. It couldn’t hurt for a manager to go and get Trades-Own-System badge. It certainly takes some extra effort, but if a leader isn’t willing to take that effort, I personally don’t feel comfortable subscribing. I wonder how serious they are. Furthermore, if there is no real fill data that means NO ONE including the strategy manager has felt comfortable enough yet to AutoTrade the strategy.

Good luck. I am certainly done talking about it for now.

3 Likes

It’s not required to use broker trasit or platform trasit trades in order to offer effective result driven strategy. I would advice @InteractiveAssets not to mislead subscribers as he is not a subscriber but a strategy manager. One can not create post as a subscriber when he is not subscrbring any strategy.
If C2 thinks that subscribers should not trust non broker transit / platform transit than they should not allow this on C2 platform.

I’m fine with managers not using broker transmit or platform transmit but if there are no real fills I don’t trust the statistics very much to be representative of how a strategy really would have performed using real money. Real fills can come from Auto Traders too. I’m not sayin you have to do Bt or PT

When you next time post any information for subscriber, Please disclose that you are not a subscriber but a strategy manager. Also 3 out 5 strategies of yours are bleeding to death.That’s why they are private now.

Anyone can look and see if I am a subscriber or a leader. It isn’t hidden. Also they aren’t bleeding to death. Two of the three private ones are beating the market. One is an account I use to do paper trading and test new things with the C2 API systems etc. For example, this strategy is private and even has a TOS badge because it is just reading an account that is doing very similar things as my strategy Patience is a Virtue. It is private because it is redundant. I started it when I was going to do some more options focused strategies, but later decided to have it trade the same way as my main strategy. Since then I have just left it to keep tracking.

Since you commented on this thread it is getting seen by more people and more people have liked the original post. I am glad it is getting out there.

4 Likes

Very underperforming strategy. One should invest in growth fund instead of using your strategy.

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/summary/316200104

It’s private no one can invest in the strategy.

Aarjay Singh, you’re on to something … however, FDGRX is closed to new investors, as is another excellent fund PRNHX (T. Rowe Price New Horizons). I recommend instead BPTRX (Baron Partners Fund Retail); a couple of innovative growth funds from Morgan Stanley and Transamerica (MSEGX and IALAX); two powerhouse health sciences funds (PRHSX and FSMEX); a micro fund from Wasatch that returned over 60% during the dot com bear market (WMICX); and a wonderful internet/technology fund FSCSX. FSRPX is another great Fidelity Select fund (retail portfolio). These all have 20+ year track records, unlike anything on C2.
Also, their fund managers are some of the best in the business. Put equal money into each fund, automatically reinvest dividends and capital gains, and don’t touch anything for 25 years. You will be so happy you did that instead of going through the agony of subscribing to any of these C2 strategies - you will all end up losing money as I did.

1 Like

I hope you didn’t lose money using mine. Wish you all the best.

Thanks for your email. How did you loose your money?

Oh, subscriber-churn with a number of systems several years ago. Probably systems you never heard of and which I’d like to forget. But here’s the basic routine:

1. Identify the hot system de jour, audit for awhile, then jump in with both feet.
  2. The system begins to go south as soon as you jump in (due to “survivorship bias”, followed by “reality”)
  3. You hang with it for awhile, then it hits your pain point and you bail out with a little loss.
  4. Rinse and repeat
  5. Before you know it, you’ve lost a lot of money - “death by a thousand cuts”
  6. You scream at the four walls, stop trading for several months, but then (of course) you get drawn back in because it’s so seductive and, well, there’s another hot system and this time things will be so, so different.

I’ve been popping the popcorn and watching from the sidelines for several years now. It was so amusing to watch the rise and downfall of AI TQQQ SQQQ Swing - seen it so many times, but it never gets old.

Good luck!

1 Like

Wise words! As you already know you aren’t alone @MarkAmspoker.
Per the results of @DwightSchrute basic mutual funds have done better than most C2 strategies -particularly the leader board and C2 Star over the period shown. Though I run an active strategy myself and manage most of my own money that way, I believe that most active strategies won’t beat the index in the long-term, especially if you adjust for leverage usage. That being said I still try to juice returns with the use of leverage and reduce drawdowns compared to buy and hold with leverage via incorporating some active management.

% Return 6/16/2020 to 5/24/2021
POPULARITY 15 3.9%
C2 Star 15 -4.5%
IRA 15 45.6%
OLD TIMERS 15 31.7%
TOS 15 Incomplete
SPY 33.9%
SPY w/ Dividends 36.1%

that’s a bit harsh on that system. It still is doing a good job with about 170% return and 28% max dd. But, you are right that many hot systems do go bust.

2 Likes

Agreed! Still has great results, just not as ideal as before.

Leverage is key to get higher returns. Hedge funds use them and that’s how they get higher returns. The key is to how to use leverage without getting liquidations. That’s risk-reward equations simple rule and everyone is different. If you are looking to get 20-30 percent returns annually, you better stick to mutual funds and ETFs. If you like to have higher returns like hedge funds then you have to take risks and use leverage.
Btw 300% communicative returns so far in short 6 months time frame. Another double-digit month into feather. Small Account Futures
Avacado Futures Trader

Don’t most hedge funds actually under perform compared to the indexes on average? The Medallion hedge fund seems to be the exception.

2 Likes

What mutual funds and ETFs are earning 20-30% every year for a long period of time?

2 Likes

Oh yeah. It doesn’t cater to small investors however most of the people with good investment portfolios flock to hedge funds only. They won’t even take your money. Bloomberg - Are you a robot?.
you can research funds here FDGRX - Fidelity ® Growth Company Fund | Fidelity Investments.