Configuration of Tradebullet for IB TWS

Hello,

I am a newbie and need help for the following question :

How many licenses for TradeBullet and how many Instances do I need for the configuration described below

At Collective2 I want to autotrade the five systems C1, C2, C3, C4, C5

I have the following user Ids at InteractiveBrokers

U1 with 4 accounts A11, A12, A13, A14 (real Accounts)

U2 paper tading only

U3 paper trading only

I want to autotrade

C1 onA11

C2 on A12

C3 on A13

C4 on U2 in papertrading mode

C5 on U3 in papertrading mode

A14 will be traded manually

How many licenses of TradeBullet do I need ?

How many instances of TradeBullet and how many instances of IB TWS are needed if all autotrading (plus manual trading of A14) is done in parallel ?

Can I run all these instances on one and the same computer ?

Where can I find supplemental information on this matter and the question how to set this configuration up ?

Any information or reference to documentation useful for solving these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Michael

I think you should send these questions by email to TB (support@tradebullet.com) with copy to Matthew (matthew@collective2.com).

FYI, I tried a second instance of TB with a second IB account on the same computer and had lots of problems with it.

Good luck

Michael,

I trade TB and IB in multiple instances. Unlike Karl’s experiences, I’ll just offer that I personally haven’t had any problems trading up to 4 instances at once, even on a pretty low performing PC (I have since upgraded).

As long as you are not trying to trade a single C2 system into multiple IB accounts, you should be able to at least attempt the configuration you mention above.

In general, you want a one to one relationship between all components:

C2(a)->TB(a)->IB A11 (not U1)

C2(b)->TB(b)->IB A12

etc.

(If you wanted to send two C2 systems into a single IB account, then you can subscribe to both of those systems on the same C2 account.)

To answer some of your specifics, for your non paper trading you will need:

1. At least 3 C2 accounts, since TB can’t send multiple C2 systems into different IB accounts.

2. only 1 Trade Bullet license, but you will copy the TB directory once for each IB account to create multiple instances.

3. You’ll run multiple instances of IB TWS, one for each account. Unlike with TB, there is no need to duplicate the software… you will configure each instance with a unique port number that is also used by its respective TB instance and that is how the instances will communicate.

It sounds like you probably also need 2 more instances of everything for the papertrading. (I have traded C2 via TB into an IB papertrading account also.)

As Karl mentioned, shoot Francis an email for the instructions on how to configure multiple instances.

Hope this helps,

Christina

http://www.tradebullet.com/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1634&p=6048#p6048

Greetings. This discussion has been enlightening.

I’m one of the most frequent and avid “complainers” about the lack of Gen3 compatibility with I.B.

Sorry if I’m a little clueless here, but are you saying that I can be Auto-trading a C2 system with IB right now through TradeBullet?

And if so, are there any significant downsides to using TradeBullet vs. the full Gen3 system with another (compatible) broker?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

–Josh

Yes, autotrading at IB has been available through TradeBullet for about 7 years. The downside is you have to run TB and the broker software (TWS) on your computer and monitor it to ensure it is always connected. Sync is limited to positions and it is not as sophisticated as gen3, but it definitely works well for many people.

Here’s some old threads on it:

http://www.collective2.com/cgi-perl/board.mpl?want=listmsgs&boardid=50602253&threadhilite=9276&displayblock

http://www.collective2.com/cgi-perl/board.mpl?want=listmsgs&boardid=9323885&msghilite=59110504&threadhilite=9653&displayblock

Christina

Dear Christina,

thank you very much for your comments that did really help me

Thanks

Michael

Christina,

many thanks for your kind and swift reply. I have tried to test using multiple account numbers. But a new problem has risen. I use one "real" user id with IB, "schraxxx" and for this user id I use various account numbers Uxxxx1 to Uxxxx4.

I can for example make connections between C2 and IB TWS via TradeBullet for

account A at C2 and schrayyy (Paper Trading) at TWS IB

account B at C2 and schraxxx with account no Uxxx1 at TWS IB

These connections operate in parallel without any problem (separate instances for TB and IB TWS)

But i am not able to instantiate parallel connections between

account A at C2 and schraxxx with account no Uxxx2 at TWS IB

account B at C2 and schraxxx with account no Uxxx1 at TWS IB

I get an error message from IB TWS indicating that it is not possible to start two connections for the same user id schraxxx

Do you have any idea what I might do ?

Opening up a separate user id schraxyz for each of say 5 or 6 traded C2 systems is most cumbersome (tax reporting, shuffling funds around, margin etc)

Kind regards

Michael

C2 recently told last week that it may be a while before they have an IB/Gen3 connection. I decided to open another brokerage account, rather than rely on software Like TradeBullet/Trader68 that requires your PC to always be on. Just FYI

Hi Michael,

I’m not sure I understand why you can’t login to Uxxx2 directly. I thought the account options at IB for non professionals were either single account or friends and family group.

If you did friends and family group, you would have a master account with a bunch of sub accounts. Each one of those sub accounts has a separate login.

If you somehow have a bunch of individual accounts all tied to the same individual user login, then I’m afraid you’re stuck. There is no way to log in only to the master account and autotrade into sub accounts. I’m not sure if Gen3 would be any better since it would have to be able to specifically distinguish between an IB master client account and a sub account.

I did a friends and family group and I use the master account to log into webtrader during the day to keep my eye on what is going on, but TB is logged in to each account separately at home.

Christina

Hi Christina,

I have an Individual account with user name schraxxx and within this Individual account I have several accounts Uyyyy1 to Uyyyy4.

There is only one possible user login via schraxxx to IB TWS where I then can select among the accounts Uyyyy1 to Uyyyy4.

I suppose that I would have to accept the extra effort to switch to a Friends and Family account if I want to autotrade various C2 systems each in a separate account.

Thanks for your comments

Michael

Hi Michael,

It sounds like that’s the case. I wasn’t aware that you could basically partition a single IB account into different types of sub accounts that don’t require individual authentication.

I know that’s going to be something of a hassle, because you’ll have to go to the trouble of “applying” for each friends and family account separately once you set up the master, and then transferring the contents of your sub accounts into the respective friends and family accounts. So I’d at least run it by IB to see if there’s any possible way to expedite.

But also, I’d recommend shooting an offline email to Matt from C2 and Francis from TradeBullet (since Francis is also working on the IB interface) to confirm whether or not the Gen3 to IB interface will require the 1 C2 login -> 1 authenticated IB account option just as Gen1 does, or whether it will have the ability to recognize sub accounts. I know C2 has chosen for some reason to remain publicly mum on any discussion of the Gen3 interface (especially timing) but it’s a basic design question you may be able to at least get an offline answer for, and that may influence your decision as to whether or not you want to jump through the hoops.

Christina

Francis,

this link is still active?

I can’ go there because of this reason:

Information

You have been permanently banned from this board.

Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.

A ban has been issued on your IP address.

Please, could you help me?

Thank you

Ruggiero

p.s. I’m newbie trader.

I am not sure. I

Hi,

Our forum has received so much SPAM in the last few months that we had to block whole IP ranges to stop it. Please email me your IP address and I’ll white-list your IP range. You can get your IP address from http://www.ipchicken.com

Francis

Francis,

my IP address now is 109.53.197.146

Please,

I think the information reported at the link I asked for, could be useful to me.

Thanks a lot for your attention

RUGGIERO