Free trial (Coupon) Portfolio Trader IRA

Hello everyone,

a 1 month free trial is now avaliable for my discretional swing trading strategy. It can be traded in IRA and can be traded manually. Trade signals can be issued throughout the US trading day.

If you are interested you can subscribe and use this coupon to waive 1 month´s fee so you can test and observe the trades live.

• UGJB84693

The strategy is discretionary and decisions are based on price action patterns, trend, market sentiment, fundamentals (stocks) and CoT-reports (commodities). I use no indicators because they are only derivatives of price action so they don´t add any value to manual trading. That´s my trading philosophy, anyways.

We trade only liquid ETFs, stocks and options so slippage should not be of any concern. If we ever start to get notable slippage I will cap the number of maximum subscribers.

The markets we trade are:

• natural gas (UGAZ / DGAZ)
  • crude oil (UCO / OILD)
  • Gold Miner Index (NUGT / DUST / GDX)
  • Gold and Silver (GLD + UGLD / SLV + AGQ)
  • Volatility (Vmin / Vmax)
  • S&p500 (SPXL / SPXS)
  • US Bonds (TMF / TTT)
  • single stock picks

Risk is primarily controlled by active trade management and small position size. However, there is always a stop-loss in place to protect us from intraday flash crashes. I use long Options if I want to enter a riskier trade hence our loss is limited right from the start.
There are profit targets with every trade but as mentioned before I´m actively managing the trades so profits can be taken earlier.

I´m usually not entering a trade with the full position size at first. Instead I scale in and out of trades in adaption to the market.
Positions are held from 1 day to a few weeks. This really depends on the setup, market conditions (volatility) and of course quality of entry timing.

You can replicate all trades with an account of 25k with 50% trade size. If you don´t want to use the option trades you can even replicate with a 5k account smoothly at 10% trade size.

The goal of the strategy is to provide consistent returns with low equity drawdowns. With the given risk management I aim for average returns of 2-3% monthly. We will use compounding to grow the account.

Thanks for your interest and feel free to comment or contact me for questions.

All the best,
Alexander

2-3% monthly will be very good but you are quite behind in that goal since that means you will have an annualized profit between 24% and 36% and currently you only have 1 month that is above 1% monthly.

Good luck!

By the way, @Aaa123 there are other indicators that are not derivatives of price action such as market profile and volume profile (just for your info).

Hello @AlgoSystems, thanks for your comments.

Yes I know market/volume profiling but it reassembles suprisingly well what I detect as support and resistance levels on eyesight. I didn´t find these indicators to improve my trading so I don´t use them. You have to keep in mind that these tools are only tools aswell and anyone can use them so they don´t show hidden information. For me personally they don´t provide added value. I radically keep everything out of my charts that don´t help me in decision making.

Concerning my goal of 2-3%p.m. I´m not at all behind. My strategy is 73 days of age, that´s 2.5 months. So currently that´s an average monthly return of 2.4%…

Maybe that´s also worth emphasizing: on average means on average.
I won´t have every month being 2%+. I won´t even have every month being a winning month. But that doesn´t matter to me if the goal is reached in the end.

VMIN/VMAX does have quite low trading volume, I’ve experienced some trouble getting filled even with modest amounts (3000 shares of VMIN) using a limit order at the current ask price. I’ve not studied the order book for VMIN, but I expect having a number of autotraders all submitting market orders could move the price significantly. But if it turns into a problem, you could drop vol trading from this strat and still have a good choice to trade with.

2 Likes

Yes @v1Trader That is true but as soon as I have subs I can easily split orders into smaller ones that should be absorbed easily. This should get everyone filled at excellent prices. If that doesn´t work out, I´ll have other options to work around for example by shifting allocation from VMIN to SPXL and VMAX to SPXS because of high correlation. Of course that´s not optimal else I wouldn´t trade volatility at all. But we will have to wait and see how the real world plays out. I will react adequately.

1 Like