This is an introduction to my Trend Trader IRA strategy wihich is fully discretionary that trades ETFs and ETF options. I am trading this strategy in my personal IRA account on ETrade. Here is the free coupon for those interested:
UGRW38876 - 1 month free coupon. Please note that this coupon expires on 2018-03-26, 20:08:00 Eastern U.S. time.
This is a trend following strategy based on technical analysis and indicators such as RSI, Bollinger Bands, Keltner Channels, ADX, Support/Resistance zones etc. as well as sector correlations and seasonality. I analyze and scan all markets and sectors daily and I trade only very liquid ETFs and options so there should be very low slippage problems. Strategy can be traded manually if you are available to take your trades near the market closing time. Most signals will be generated within the last 1 hour before markets close (3 pm-4 pm EST). Otherwise, I recommend autotrading.
Strategy is fully compatible with IRA. Long positions are entered via long ETFs or long Call options. Short positions are opened via inverse ETFs or long Put options. Strategy was designed to work during all types of markets bull/bear/sideways.
I personally trade this strategy in my own IRA account but cannot obtain TOS because I have a different brokerage and don’t want to switch to IB. Disciplined position sizing and strict risk management (stop loss, profit targets) are always in place for each trade. To avoid risk and over-leverage, at least 50%-60% of the portfolio will always be in cash.
This strategy can be replicated with an account size of as small as $20k. 2-3 or more trades per week should be expected. I may leg in to the same position 2 more times for a maximum of 10% position size for ETFs and 5% position size for options. However, please note that C2 puts second/third entries to the same position as 1 trade so trade number may seem different. Check autotrade data for accurate trade history. Trades may stay open anywhere between 1 day - 2 weeks. We do not leg in to every position if it breaches certain indicators we have set or if it hits our stop loss.
The objective of the strategy is to get 2% or above average monthly portfolio growth (on a $100k portfolio) with minimal risk and drawdown, but, as always, this is a hypothetical goal and nothing can be guaranteed.
If you would like to see how I take my trades live, you may use the free 1 month coupon above.
Some quick notes:
- I will not trade any volatility related ETFs or Options.
- I will not change my strict position sizing, entry/exit points or risk management approach under no circumstances, even if subscribers ask me to do so. If you are willing to take more risk, you are welcome to scale up but my position sizing will always be very conservative. ETF positions will be opened with 2% and options positions will be opened with 1% size of $100k portfolio.
- Under very special black swan events, stop losses may not work. However, your risk of ruin with this strategy, even with the worst assumptions, should not exceed 10%-15% of a $100k portfolio. But again, these are hypothetical goals and nothing can be guaranteed.
- I will send daily broadcasts with a justification of my current open trades and recently opened/closed positions.
- This is not a strategy for aggressive people hoping to get 80%-100% annual return. You will end up being disappointed. My goal is to have above average market returns with minimal risk and capital preservation as a priority.
Thanks for reading my post and let me know if you have any questions.