Hosting questions

I’ve had an eye on collective2 for some time, but apparently I was mistaken about one assumption I had made previously. I always thought that these trading systems were hosted on collective2 servers, as well as everything else that collective2 does do. Now that I’ve taken a closer look here I see that I was wrong.

So that leads me to my question about hosting systems. Where are the trading systems hosted? Are they all running on their developers systems at home/office? Or are they hosted on commercial hosting servers out in the cloud?

I’m a software engineer and I’ve spent a few years in developing trading systems. I’d be interested in hearing of where trading systems are being hosted other than at home or office desktops. I’m curious if collective2 is considering providing that service? Or are there any hosting companies that are well suited for trading systems? Thanks, Mike.

Michael,

My Precisiontrader 5.2 software that gives the orders for starter system and whales only is on a computer next to me that only takes in data. It gives output only to a screen and a printer. I type in the orders to a c2 site on a separate computer. They then do the distribution. Do they send the order to the broker if it is a limit or stop is a good question, or do they wait until the order is triggered and is a market order.

Ric

[LINKSYSTEM_50936890]

I see. That makes sense and I suspect that is a typical setup for these trading systems. I am curious about 100% automated systems. Are there any?

Michael - My current systems run 100% automated. I have Tradestation on my office PC. It runs strategy, and sends order to C2. I don’t do anything unless there is a problem.

There are server farms and websites that will run your strategy for you, so you do not have to run from your own PC. I assume you could get them to talk to C2.

Kevin

Kevin,

While this sounds really cool and practical. No wonder the rest of the world can so easily copy our stuff. Having a set up like that is like sending out invitations to be hacked.

Ron

Member of Berlin Island Association

Vigilance Always

Yes, I know there are farms and I’m familiar with the usual suspects. I’d be interested to hear of any that are specifically tailored to the trading industry, if there are any. I’m not talking about the typical 1&1 web host farm for $5 per month.

“I don’t do anything unless there is a problem” - the fact that you require yourself to sit there bell to bell and monitor it means that it’s not 100% automated. You see my point. If it were 100% automated you could go on vacation and leave it running.

But of course any system requires someone to monitor it one way or another. I’d be interested in knowing if there are systems where one could host their trading strategy and let someone else do the monitoring and only notify you in case of problems. This is what I thought Collective2 was doing.

I’m not trying to argue what is/n’t “100% automated”. I’m just interested to discover if there are any hosting companies that are tailored to trading.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Mike

Ron -

I don’t worry at all about someone stealing my signals from my PC, or in transit from my PC to C2.

BUT, since all C2 systems have their closed trade record public, one could take those closed trades and figure out what a system was doing, with reasonable accuracy. Like with one popular scalping system here on C2: it is fairly easy (for me) to see entries are based on linear regression, coupled with a simple exit and simple money management.

So, I’d be worried about reverse engineering a lot more than hacking.

In the end, EVERY vendor has to assume their work is being stolen , either by trojan programs, other hacking methods, reverse engineering or one subscriber giving signals to 20 of his buddies. The last two I KNOW for certain have happened here, and at every C2 competitor too.

Kevin

"I’m just interested to discover if there are any hosting companies that are tailored to trading."

Yes there are. I’ve never used any of them, so I can’t say they are what you are looking for.

Sorry I wasn’t clear enough. I’ll amend that statement as follows

I’m just interested to discover if there are any hosting companies that are tailored to trading - and if there are then what are they?

Thanks

Kevin,

On my tradersalpha.com site I show how to take C2 systems that you subscribe to and increase productivity (net profits) dramatically, as you lower the risk and down draw considerably. While some of the tech that folks here use can be reverse engineered, I doubt many can do that with mine. As for spreading the signals to others…Here there are three shifts to man the computers…can a guy be watching 24 hours a day. Take a look at the weird times of our trades…is that the secret to our success?

As for the guys who share it with 20 or use it to run a pool or several accounts. They need to have a pleasant conversation with me and they will be cured of that stupidity or do it with my blessing. If they do it with my blessing then they will easily outperform what ever they are doing now…with a little guidance from me and have much greater safety and success for their business.

Regards

Ron

"As for the guys who share it with 20 or use it to run a pool or several accounts. They need to have a pleasant conversation with me…"

Why would people sharing or stealing your signals talk to you about it? They’d rather just steal.

Unfortunately, developers won’t even know this is happening, unless it starts to impact fills.

I’ve talked to quite a few developers, on this site and other sites, and everyone takes it as a given that this happens, and there is not much one can do about it. One developer even just stopped selling his system in the middle of trades, just to mess with all the freeloaders.

As far as reverse engineering, if a system is worth reverse engineering (and very few are), Goldman Sachs or some hedge fund will find it, and then they will unleash their team of PhDs on the public trade record (or they will invite you to see them and present your results, because they want to invest, and use the data to reverse engineer it). They’ll probably not only duplicate the results (no matter how complicated the system), but they will make the system better. This I know from personal experience.

There is a solution to all this, though.

Kevin

PS - By the way, I apologize to thread creator for hijacking the thread and changing the topic.

Kevin,

These guys have phd’s in theoretical physics, I have one that I have been associated with for years. Dr. Sanford Aranoff. If these types of guys are a threat.

My kitty is more dangerous. I get arguments all the time from these bozos as to why my stuff cant work…one will be quoted in a future article. C2 doesn’t argue it just reports.

As for the guys who steal. We have ways of discovering them.

Ron

Member of Berlin Island Association