Load Historical Trades From System

Hello Everyone:

I am exploring collective2. I would like to start tracking the trades in a personal trading strategy that I developed in 2010 and have actively traded with nearly 100% of my personal capital for 5 years. I traded this at Interactive Brokers for a few years and recently transitioned to Thinkorswim. About 3/4 of the trades are in a portfolio margin account and 1/4 are in an IRA account. There are about 600-700 trades that are open / closed within the calendar year. My track record is around 22% compounded yearly growth rate with a max draw down of 11% that has happened twice since the implementation. Over the years, improvements to the trading algorithm imply that future returns should trend a bit higher, with my ultimate goal of averaging 28.5% with max draw down of 10%. I’ve tracked my sortino and sharpe ratios over this time and they are approximately 35% better than the same rations for S&P500 Total Return. I have taken time to write essays on my trading strategy in various online trading forums, and have been fairly transparent with its mechanics. I believe in the give-to-get philosophy in life.

Is there a way for me to load this history into collective2 and for them to verify its authenticity? I’d like to develop my trading record on Collective 2, but could not conceive of suggesting someone following me without having at least multiple years and >1000 trades of traceability. It is quite a daunting suggestion to consider needing to wait 1-2 years of continuing my trading strategy and entering records in real time to provide data based upon what can already be verified with third parties.

BTW - unrelated to the post, but compliments on the forum system for attempting to detect forum posts of a similar topic. Are you using Disqus as the forum engine? Also, I run a software company that makes a cloud IDE - Codenvy. We have an open source engine, Eclipse Che, that may be ideal as a better development experience for Seetu and Explore users. It’s in use by Red Hat, Microsoft, Samsung, Cisco, SAP, Mongo, and so forth. It’s intended as a professional’s interface for development. When I retire from the technology industry, I will probably start a business in the options trading world where I have ideas on how to develop community and tools for options professionals.

Tyler

There is no way to load an existing history into C2 as that would not be audited by C2. You trade the system through C2 and build up a history that is audited by C2. After enough history is built up people will start to subscribe if the system has performed well enough to attract them.

Tyler,

If you open your system on C2 and give a detailed description of it on the System’s Description Page or point to your web page if you have one and the system performs for a couple of months as you described and best of all if you get TOS certified, you will be surprised how many subscribers you will get just after a few month. I certainly would be interested in such a system.

Karl

I am against the concept of verifying previous history without running it live as this is the classic case of “cherry picking” .

Hi Everyone:

Thanks for pursuing this.

The purpose of auditing would be for C2 to provide independent verification of the trades. Having an audited trading record against real results is something most traders have to do if they ever harbor any desires of opening a hedge fund. And you will probably have to pay $6-$10K from a well-regarded accounting firm to perform such an audit. So there is a financial opportunity for C2 to provide this sort of service in an automated way. I could see paying a one time fee for having this done through an import.

Regarding the import of existing records, @Surprise, in order to the cherry picking use case, the only legitimate approach to the audit would be to import the entire account’s record, and prevent the user from limiting the import. The only limitation to such behavior is if a single user has multiple trading accounts on a single broker, where one account is designed to outperform another when they are always intended to operate in tandem. But that would have to be a fairly rare occurrence. In my particular case, would want my entire history uploaded and nothing filtered. If there was a C2 certification for that, it would encourage me to sign up sooner, and would imagine could be attractive to other prospective strategy developers. So would characterize this as a revenue possibility for C2 overall.

But if the results really only happen after a few months, that is worth considering. I am fairly conservative in how I approach working with a system, and would view having a full year of trading results being necessary before I attract any subscribers. So, it is a major investment to pursue publication to a platform such as this with so many trades happening. Food for thought.