Matthew: There's an error in RSS Feeds

Matthew: There seems to be a remaining bug in the RSS feeds.

From what I can work out it looks like trades that are entered and/or closed in several stages aren’t being handled correctly. Here’s an example for a recent EURUSD trade:

"Long 9 EURUSD - $345 profit13:20 27/11/2007, Latest Trades: TrendSensor Forex

11/20/07 6:08: BTO 9 EURUSD @ 0.49049; 11/21/07 3:06: STC 9 @ 0.49432"

This shows I bought 9 contracts on 11/20 at 0.49049 - gee I wish I could have gotten in at that price!

What actually happened was I bought 3 contracts, averaging 3 x the price quoted. I bought these in three separate transactions and this seems to be connected to the problem somehow (trades where I’ve opened the full position in one transaction, and closed it in one, look fine).

Obviously I can’t use the feed on my site just yet as showing recent EURUSD entries at 0.49049 isn’t going to be credible.

I’m not aware of any other issues in my feeds, so I think we’re getting close to bug-free.

Related: For the reviews RSS feed, I’d love to be able to get a “System Reviews” feed just for the systems on My Analyst page and my own systems.

Not sure how difficult that is, but it’s on my “wishlist”.

Thanks for the great work to-date adding RSS capability to C2.

This is the full post, please ignore the other one with a similar title

OK. I’ll look into this and let you know when fixed.

Good suggestion, too.

Matthew,

Just a follow-up to say thank you - the RSS feed looks fine now.

Murray

How do we use RSS? When I click on the icon a window comes up and asks me if I want to open or store the file.

Alexander,

I’ve taken a while to respond as I wanted to wait until all the issues with the C2 feed were sorted out - I think they are now.

My guess is you’re using MS Internet Explorer (IE)? Firefox handles RSS feeds of all types much better than IE - it appears IE doesn’t recognize files ending with .rdf as RSS files, which is just plain dumb, but typical of Microsoft.

Unfortunately, it means the RSS links at C2 aren’t going to be much use to the majority of visitors, since they’ll likely be using IE, although a growing number of surfers use Firefox (a bit over 15%, I think).

Re how to use the feed:

1. Subscribe to the feed using either an online browser-based feed reader like the one at http://www.google.com/reader … or via a desktop feed reader (software on your PC) - the one I like is Feedreader. Get it at www.feedreader.com (it’s free, and my prefered option over browser-based ones).

Because of the IE issues mentioned above, subscribing isn’t easy (unless you have access to Firefox). Here’s a suggested IE workaround:

a) right-click the RSS button for the feed on C2 you want to subscribe to.

b) select “Add to favorites”, but don’t add it!

c) in the box that opens select and copy the info in the “Name” field - it will look roughly like the feed address.

d) paste that info into something like Notepad, Wordpad, or some other text editor - Word might be OK too. You should have something like:

http–www.collective2.com-rss-systems-system28493416.rdf

e) replace the dashes (-) with slashes (/), and add the colon after “http”, to get the feed address - something like:

http://www.collective2.com/rss/systems/system28493416.rdf

f) Now copy and paste the address above (or your version of it) into Feedreader, google reader, or whatever you’re using, and presto! you’re there. (in Firefox it takes me two mouse button clicks to get to the same point!).

g) repeat and rinse for each feed you want from C2. Build a list of the feed addresses (URL’s) in the text editor you’re working with, name each feed, and save that file when finished - it’ll be useful for the next step, which is where it gets real useful

2. I use the free services of FeedBurner to do lots of whizzy stuff with feeds. Not the time here to go into all the details, but one service (BuzzBoost) allows you to re-publish your feeds onto your website(s) pages.

For those interested in how you can use RSS feeds on a website, go to:

http://www.trendsensor.com/Trade-History.htm#history

Scroll down a to a little below the thumbnail charts and you’ll see my C2 RSS feed for my JUMBO system right there in that white box section. Clicking on an individual trade will take one to the same trade listed in my JUMBO system page at C2, so folk can easily check the validity of the information.

For me this does two things:

* adds to the credibility of my trading history info as it’s sourced from C2.

* saves me the time of manually updating the trading history: the RSS feed on that page will automatically update every 30 minutes - I love anything that saves me time, and allows me to focus on trading!

Basically, just sign-up to FeedBurner, burn the feeds you’ve saved in your text file, then BuzzBoost them (under the publicize tab). Copy the code they give you onto your website page and presto! You’re done (again).

The beauty of this approach is that it’s easy for folk to subscribe to this FeedBurner version of the feed - even via IE - they just click the link at the bottom of the feed and follow the instructions of FeedBurners own feed reader manager.

Hope this helps.

Murray

Very nice!!

Thank you Murray!

I’m going to close this thread since I believe the error in the RSS Feed feature is now resolved. Thanks again, Murray, for pointing it out.