New feature: Use your Interactive Brokers account to run a C2 strategy

We’ve just released a new feature:

Use your Interactive Brokers account to run a C2 strategy

How it works:

1. Type in your Interactive Brokers account number.

2. Start placing trades directly at Interactive Brokers (IB). Use IB’s TWS application, if you like.

3. Your trades will be “published” as a trading strategy here at C2.

Ta da - that’s it.

Enjoy!

• Matthew

P.S. The new feature is in beta test, so let us know what you think.

Matthew,

does paper trading account also work?

Thanks

Alessandro

No we only support live accounts.

Will you track ALL my trades or can I choose which ones I want to be public and which ones I want to be privat. Let’s say I select “Options” and “Futures” as my instruments. What if I want to place an Options or Futures trade that is not meant to be traded publicly? Furthermore, will everybody see the lot size or just the trade itself? I mean, somebody with an account size of 50’000 will probably not want to trade the same size as somebody with 1 million.

You can choose which instruments to make public.

I.E. If you select futures, but not stocks, then only futures trades will be visible. But you cannot carve out certain private trades within that instrument class. Once you decide to publish futures trades, then all your futures trades become visible.

Right now, in the initial version of this technology, there is no trade scaling: When you place a trade for 50,000 shares, that is what appears in your public track record: 50,000 shares.

Matthew

Thanks for the quick answer.

I think the way the system works now let’s me be too transparent. I would like to use it but not in the current status. I would not want everybody to see the sizes I am trading and I would not want every trade within the same instrument class to be public. So I guess I will wait a little bit until these features become more flexible.

I don’t think we’ll ever let you cherry-pick trades to show, for a variety of reasons. Mostly, mechanical constraints: there would be no simple way to specify through Interactive Broker’s trade entry screen “do not publish this trade to C2.”

We may add trade-size scaling in a future update, however.

MK

Using TWS to run a C@ trading strategy vs. using your api. What would be the advantages to using the api to send trades into C2?

Also, if I used TWS, would my IB account serve as “trades own account” status? Or would I need an additional IB account linked to my C2 strategy in order to get this trades own account status?

I’ve been asked several times about how the “use your Interactive Brokers TWS to send trades to C2” relates to “Trades Own System (TOS) Certification.”

The answer is:

We will soon make TOS Certification automatically part of the new program. However, that feature is not ready quite yet.

However, we are capturing data in our database about the fact that you are placing real trades in your brokerage account, and so, when the feature is ready, we will be able to display historical data showing which of your trade signals you actually traded in your real broker account, and will use this data as part of your TOS certification.

I estimate the new feature will be released within 4 weeks of today, plus or minus 2 weeks.

Matthew

To answer your other question:

The only advantage is that you can customize how you want your orders handled at a much finer level of detail.

Matthew

Thanks for the answer Mathew. Am I correct in assuming that by using TWS to manage the C2 strategy, you are using market orders to ensure that the C2 model account is in sync with the controlling IB account? Whereas if I were to use the API instead, I would have the option of sending limit orders (as well as other order types) to C2?

That’s exactly right.

One of the coolest things about C2 is the objectivity of it–the inability to tout a system without showing the trades. I literally think that sites like C2 could help change the industry for the better, and help eliminate the BS track records sold by charlatans. In that light, I hope you NEVER allow traders to manipulate (cherry pick) their trades.
Thanks for this update, it looks promising.
John

Of course the whole suggestion was to allow cherry picking before executing/entering the trade , no one would suggest allowing cherry picking after taking the trade that would be totally un acceptable .

2 Likes

Are all IB account types eligible? Including financial advisor sub-accounts and/or IRA accounts?

All accounts starting with a “U” are eligible.

How are the accounts connected to C2? Does this require an API connection to TWS or can you get in from IB on the server side?

We connect directly to IB servers–you do not need to run any software.

This will be useful.

Are there any plans to do this with other brokers?

Yes, soon this feature will be available for all gen3 brokers.