Trend following system with 30%+ return but no subscribers?

Hello all,

my system has been on C2 for 10 month now.
Showing +30% YTD with DD of 8%.

I am having problems attracting subscribers to it though.
I am curious if forum members here can provide maybe some feedback as to why my system is not attractive to investors.
The cost is fairly low, only $29 a month. It is very easy to follow system, as it enters into new positions infrequently, and then stays for as long as trend is up.

I see other systems on C2 which have one month of insane 500%+ return (pure luck I believe and insane risk\reward skew towards very high risk) and then charge $200+ a month, and have tons of subscribers right away. Which kind of puzzles me. As that is just pure gambling. In my opinion.

So looking for some feedback from investors, as to why they might not find this system attractive.
Thank you!

I don’t want to be too critical but I would probably assume that since the system’s 2nd last trade was march of 2017 would be one of the reasons? Typically subscribers would want systems that open and close trades more regularly such as once a month I would guess.

3 Likes

I don’t know either and it may just be that many subscribers want high flyers. I think your system looks very good. I think not having free trials available makes it harder to pick up subscribers too. For example, I can see your previous track trades, but I don’t know if you have just had one big lucky trade inside the strategy that has been the drive. Many long term investors thrive off of one or two tenbaggers a decade and there is nothing wrong with that, but it can be hard for a subscriber to distinguish that from luck after a short time period. One way to at least mitigate this is to offer a free trial in you description via coupon code.

1 Like

Your system does produce some nice numbers and although it is relatively new, your performance numbers are certainly noteworthy, as is the low drawdown. One statistic that may be causing potential subscribers caution is the % of winning trades (37.5%). Since your cumulative performance is pretty good, you probably hold some winning stocks and their performance probably makes up for the numerous closed, losing trades. Also, as you have noticed, many potential subscribers are attracted to the huge returns generated by many systems but upon further research, you will notice it is the rare system that has produced an annual return exceeding 50% that has been around for over 2 years. Many of those systems with huge returns just crash and burn and disappear into obscurity after a period of time. Good luck with your system!

2 Likes

Thank you for feedback so far.
As far as trials: I enabled 7 day trial. But, I also noticed this warning from C2:
"Free trial periods are being phased out. Over time, new subscribers will not be offered free trials. You can change the value below, but free trials will be available to fewer people as customers move to the new version of this web site."
Seems like instead of trials users can now just simulate strategy in their sim account instead.

Ah, fair enough. I do not enter trades unless there is a good setup. And let current open trades just work themselves out. But it is a fair point I guess. System did open two new positions in the last two months, but with trend following sometimes there will be periods when no new setups are available. But thank you for feedback.

@Sagor you could easily increase your # of trades. Just close and reopen working positions instantly. This doesn’t change anything about your strategy but would present a better picture for the majority of users.
I myself don’t like this kind of stat gaming neither but you have to somehow get your strategy to the masses if you’re convinced of its value. Track reckord = marketing at sites like this. So any dev better be smart about his “marketing” or you lose against the scam systems…

Good luck and keep it up!

With this type of strategy you will find your subscribers after a year or year and half. These are subs hunting for reliable, long term live strategies, not high fliers.

2 Likes

We are having good results with Zarco51 with no subscribers. We decided to stop doing this in C2 https://collective2.com/details/112379792

1 Like

Thats a decent 3 month track record Luis but in your case I would think you need to advertise in the group forums like you are now. The C2 search mechanism is not going to bring out those systems with modest returns that easily so probably your system got buried under the other systems that have higher monthly and yearly returns. This is just my assumption.

1 Like

Hello Luis
Congrats. with a good system, unfortunately it is a secret - I think you just have to remain patient waiting for the history to build. The age of a system is the most important factor IMHO.
Having said this I have seen quite a few systems here which carry history, but still are buried at C2.
I so wish that C2 would modify their default sorting and ranking mechanism and change their weights so it favored age as a more important factor.
As it is now it looks like return is most important factor, while the associated risk toned down and an unknown and proprietary parameter like “Heart-Attack index” plays a role as well in the default ranking mechanism.

Cheers,
Lars

3 Likes