Ranked #38 but to sims/subscribers

I would have thought if my strategy was ranked #38 I would have at least one sim/subscribers???!!

Hi Northstar,
I can’t speak for other C2 customers but here is why I am not subscribing or simulating your strategy. The strategy’s results are highly correlated to the overall stock market. We have been in an unrelenting bull market so almost any “long only” strategy looks good right now. Just buying and holding SOXL on April 11th (when you starting trading it exclusively) produces the same gains and drawdown as your system so your value added is low. Secondarily, I generally don’t subscribe to young systems or those with more than 30% drawdown unless there is something really unique about the strategy. I wish you good luck and many subscribers in the future.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s a crowded floor and quite frankly your system looks like a roller coaster, who would want to sign up for that? I mean if you were returning something like 150% you might get one or two subs.

I agree with the other posts. Your strategy has only really beaten the market for about a month and with a very large draw down. I started here in July and have managed to gain a few subscribers so far. I think investors are looking for more consistency with a smaller DD unless you have a much longer history or larger gains.

Take a good look at my system Tqqqsqqq, similar return in less than half the time with 4 times less draw down and only 3 subs.
Time to re-evaluate.

I agree with you, yet the original poster’s strategy is rated higher than yours. Seems odd to me. Any idea why?

I thought of that too but really didn’t care enough to delve into it.
Perhaps length of time or some other obscure metrics, who knows.

Some advice to help a fellow strategy developer.

1. Define your target audience: Speculators? Investors? Buy and Hold? Day traders? What account size do you believe is the ideal trader for your strategy? Do you want to attract margin traders? Cash only? Futures? Currency? Find your niche market.
  2. Pricing: See above. If you think the perfect candidate for your strategy is people with a million dollars or more, then your price is too low (but you will get far fewer subscribers) But if you are going for the average investor you may want to lower your price until you start seeing subscribers. $60.00 isn’t bad, but remember it will be a function of account size. An auto trader with $25,000 will be shelling out over $105 a month to auto trade your strategy after your fee and the auto trader fees. With such volatility in your strategy, the average trader will probably only want to commit $750.00 to $1,250 of their $25K meaning your fee is going to kill their return. Reduce volatility and that account size will grow and justify the price.
  3. Communicate regularly with your subscribers. Let them know what you are doing and why. Even if you make a wrong call, most people will understand because they know it isn’t always going to be 100%. When they see communication it doesn’t look so much like a black box traded on gut reactions. We all want to know you have a system and not just a crap shoot.
  4. Be consistent. Your drawdowns are pretty large and are close to your percentage return. Roller coaster is a good analogy here.
  5. Your win loss ratio is less than 50%. That can be ok, but when your win loss is so low you want to be sure your winners way out perform your losing trades. $602.85 to $297.88 isn’t bad, but I think most people would be willing to get in if it were more than double - given your win rate is less than 50% and your profit factor is still under 2.
  6. Hold times are too long on average for a leveraged instrument - but your leverage isn’t bad. Leveraged products actually erode in volatile environments. They work out fine in a trend, but people will wonder what will you do when the trend is over? 3 types of markets: Up, Down and Sideways.
  7. You shouldn’t only tout your system when it is finally at it’s peak performance. Everyone will look at it and see you are only promoting it now that it has come around. Try to understate your results and outperform your benchmark.
  8. Don’t be afraid to make adjustments in price, to your stops, to your win ratio etc. to see who and what amounts will be attracted to your strategy.
  9. Build in loyalty. Give your first few simulators a deal or make a limited time offer to new subscribers and lock it in for a period of time.
  10. Know your weakness: understand that your strategy is working out based upon current conditions. When you understand why things seem to be working out, you can make adjustments when market conditions change.
  11. Analyze your track record relative to the number of subscribers you have had. Have you always had zero subscribers or simulators? If you had some at one point and then lost them, what conditions existed when they were attracted and what conditions existed when you lost them. Make adjustments. And don’t be afraid to contact those people who have left and let them know you made adjustments - be specific when you communicate the adjustments made.
  12. Anyone can buy and hold an index fund and hold it. SPY with 1:1 leverage has returned over 24.63% the past year. If you aren’t beating that return while being fully invested in a leveraged fund, then your performance is actually falling behind. One of features of a successful strategy I manage is that you will be in cash most of the time and only in a trade 40% of all trading days, with leverage you will still beat the market but you get to miss out on the ups and downs of the roller coaster. Even if my performance matches the market performance it is remarkable to do it while being in cash most of the time.
  13. Lucky 13 - Find the features and benefits of your strategy and promote them - but be sure to exceed your promotion.

Best of luck to you!

3 Likes

in regard your strategy, i have review your strategy and your history is just too short. You haven’t have a pullback since your inception day. So for me, i would wait until you have been around at least 1 year, or at least i can see how you handle the next correction or pull back. 2nd is what i look into your trades, is you tend to keep adding to losing trades. Not just once, but almost every losing trade, and keep adding 8 to 10 times until its break even or you get out after the next bounce. So that more caution for me when i see that trading pattern.

that’s my 2 cents why i haven’t been a subscriber.

1 Like

That’s really good analysis.

Thanks all for your comments! Well Ive spent $900 over 9 months for zero ROI and based on feedback it is not worthwhile carrying on.

Best of luck to all

1 Like

Good analogy, and I believe everyone who has an unsuccessful system and paying fees for nothing should quit. I mean why bother, that was a flight to Monte Carlo you just tossed in the trash.

Its called a scale, not an add to a loosing trade. I added, took off partials, added , took off. partials. It may be a different approach then your accustomed too in a Mkt with basically zero volatility. Shorting a straight up environment is a challenge. Wait till the environment changes and we have a normalized market. We have had a one sided Fed induced Mkt for over 7 weeks.