C2 Outage October 13, 2015

Dear Collective2 Member:

Earlier today, between 2:40 PM ET and 4:50 PM ET, the Collective2 web site went down. Customers were unable to use Collective2 during this period.

The immediate cause of the problem was a failed Ethernet switch in our primary data center. Data center personnel took longer than expected to locate the exact source of the problem, and to re-route our incoming and outgoing Internet traffic to a backup switch.

I’m glad to be able to report that we’re back online now. To all you C2 members who are AutoTrading: Collective2 AutoSync technology will automatically make sure that all brokerage accounts match the positions of the strategies you are following.

I know this has been a painful and frustrating time for C2 members. Even though we all recognize that server outages do happen, even to the largest companies, I know that you rely on Collective2 to be available at all times, particularly when the financial markets are open.

We have tried to design our service and infrastructure to meet this expectation. Today we failed to meet it. For that, I am extremely sorry.

My technical team and I are still investigating the root cause of yesterday’s problem. Once I fully understand the cause, I will take whatever steps are required to ensure that a similar problem does not recur in the future.

I’ll keep you posted here on the C2 forum as I learn more.

If you have questions in the meantime, please reach out to me at help@collective2.com. I and the rest of the C2 team will try to answer your questions as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your patience during today’s outage. I hope C2 can continue to earn your loyalty and trust.

Sincerely,

Matthew Klein
CEO
Collective2 LLC

1 Like

Glad to hear you guys are doing a postmortem. It would be nice if the API could stay running when the website goes down.

There lies the morbidity of a failed core switch: all of our servers got disconnected from the internet and from each other.