Connect outage

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems with connecting to Collective2 from their trading software.

I am using TradeBullet and at the moment (10:17 pacific time) TB is repeatedly attempting to connect to Collective2 without success. I am able to connect to the website and can ping without a problem, but it is not connecting.

Fortunately, I am not in a trade right now, but if I was, then I would be worried.

Can anyone explain this outage and how often it occurs?

There was no system-wide outage at this time.

I can only surmise that your ISP temporarily had difficulty resolving "autotrade.collective2.com" which is the server name TradeBullet attempts to connect to.

Is there a way for TB to use the IP?

I am curious. How would you explain the ISP temporarily unable to resolve the the URL when it had been doing so all day. Also, this is not the first time it has happened.

Next time it does, I will ping the autotrade URL and see if you are correct.

I can only tell you no one else had any problems; that there was no system-wide issue, and - in fact - that the autotrade Tradebullet service runs on a machine that was successfully running many other services, all day long. So the evidence points to a problem somewhere in your ISP, or in their DNS lookups, or whatever.

Next time it happens, do a tracert on autotrade.collective2.com and see where in the resolution chain the lookup breaks.

Well, it happened again this morning. I just read your new message so I didn’t do a traceroute, although I did a ping and it did ping successfully. Clearly, something else is the problem and if the machine is running and accepting all connections, then I agree it must be something else.

It just can’t be my ISP if I can ping the machine.

Any other ideas? I would really like to get to the bottom of this.

First, can you please clarify: What did you ping? An IP address? Or autotrade.collective2.com?

More generally, here is my analysis. Given the symptoms you describe, I hypothesize that the problem is in a bad DNS record for autotrade.collective2.com, which is what TradeBullet is trying to reach. This bad record exists somewhere on the Internet. While it’s possible that it exists somewhere on equipment run by C2, if this were the case, then the problem would universally affect all C2 TradeBullet users, and I haven’t received any other reports of this. So I’m guessing that the problem exists somewhere on the path between wherever you are and where our primary data center is.

That’s why a tracert would be helpful. So if you could somehow catch the problem when it exists (I am assuming it is sporadic) and run a tracert, I would be very grateful, and it might help us get to the bottom of this.

Also, could you email me (matthew at collective2.com) your TradeBullet log file containing the incident, and also let me know in your email the UTC timestamp where I can find the problem in your log.

MK

I sent you an email, but I didn’t get a reply so posting here again.

Got disconnected again for a short while, but I missed the chance to traceroute it. Fortunately, it did not interfere with trading today, but I am concerned that in the future it will. Please email me back with some ideas about how to fix/test it.

Thanks.