The opinions expressed in these forums do not represent those of C2, and any discussion of profit/loss is not indicative of future performance or success. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading. You should therefore carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. You should read, understand, and consider the Risk Disclosure Statement that is provided by your broker before you consider trading. Most people who trade lose money.

How much Draw Down is too much?

Hello everyone, I am fairly new with C2. I have read many posts about draw down but I am curious as to what everyone thinks an acceptable amount of drawn down might be. Also, does frequency of draw down play into investors minds? Would you rather see a 15% draw down twice a month or a 25% draw down every few months?
Thanks for the input, and happy trading.

Michael

Neither.

But honestly it depends on the return profile of the strategy. If it is a swing for the fences strategy and shoots for 100% annual returns, I’d fully expect a 25% DD at some point during the year (I would scale it down in that case!). Likewise if the strategy is conservative and shoots for maybe 1-2% a month, I would expect single digit DDs, only double digit in extreme circumstances.

Two 15% DD’s in the same month would be a non-starter for me. That means max future DD is going to be huge. But everyone is different. I like to see max DD less than annual return for starters. Makes sense.

let me explain with some advertising :wink:
Two strategies that look vastly different to naked eye - but they are essentially same - one is on futures i.e more leverage , other using TQQQ (ie.less leverage though 3x leverage is huge by itself) . One using NQ Futures caters to C2 crowd somehow (probably need more leverage to attract more customers! ie. if i double contract size, may be return would be 200% as of now with 30% drawdown ) the other one noone cares - 0 subscribers but probably a fund might like. only reason to keep it here on C2 is for my own track record.

Bottom line - everyone has different tolerances to drawdown. I will never look at it as a one number in isolation.
Frequency of drawdowns is a good point - I might forgive a strategy that might have had a 25% drawdown (and say 50 % annual return) once in 3-4 years but average drawdown much lower than that. 15% drawdown twice a month on average (no matter what is the annual return) wont last long! likewise 25% every few months also will not last. Most likely that is.

though i tried for a 10% unfortunately i got it now at 25%, however since my return is now 200%, its really an 8 to 1 risk reward just in 1 month. https://collective2.com/details/120266409