Innovation ETFs added to Old-Timers List after its third birthday—Coupon offered

My strategy, Innovation ETFs, celebrated its third birthday this weekend. Accordingly, it was added to the C2 Leaderboard’s Old-Timers List of the three dozen strategies at least 3-years-old that have outperformed the SP500.

Of the three dozen strategies on that Old-Timers List, mine has the highest annual returns (79%/year), and my maximum drawdown of 23.9% is well below the drawdown of the second-highest return strategy (which has a 66.4% DD).

Besides having the highest annual return for any C2 strategy that is at least 3 years old, among the 10 highest performing strategies on the Old-Timers List (those with annual returns above 36%), Innovation ETFs also has

* the lowest maximum drawdown (23.9%);
* the lowest average leverage of just .56;
* the highest Sharpe Ratio (1.55); and
* by far the highest Sortino Ratio (4.95):

Coupon : My regular subscription fee is $117 a month. For new subscribers I am offering a coupon open for the next few weeks at 99 dollars a month, with that rate continuing for 9 months. (To be fair to my few existing paying subscribers, I changed their billing to a tad less than that–good for the next 18 months.)

UGYY74384
This reduced price will remain in effect for 9 billing transactions. Expires 11:59pm 1/21/21.

While the strategy started with a focus on blockchain and cryptocurrencies, that is now a relatively minor part of the strategy. Some of the evolution resulted from changes in the market, other changes responded to some subscriber concerns, who sometimes had trouble taking short positions or trading futures in a stock strategy. Though Bitcoin futures were never a major part of the strategy, the last futures position closed 18 months ago—and going forward there will be no futures trading. Further, the strategy no longer uses borrowing on margin.

Most of the returns since March have been earned by investing in and holding technology ETFs, as someone looking at the public trading record can see. As to open positions not shown in the public trading record, there are gains in ARKW of $16,338 and ARKK of $1,934 and a loss in KWEB of $2,591.

Whether you find the strategy changes prudent or not, they raise the first reason that an interested person might reasonably be cautious about investing in Innovation ETFs: changes are, well, changes. The fact that the strategy is now somewhat different from what it was years ago means that the track record is more reflective of the strategy since March this year than before that.

Another reason that a prospective investor might reasonably be cautious about subscribing is that the strategy has had only intermittent autotraders—and investment records under autotrading are much more reliable than under the periods without autotrading. For those who are curious, the first of several recent autotraders joined the strategy on November 10, after 9 months without them. My return since that day is 21.8%; indeed, the slope of the relatively smooth uptrend since March actually got a bit steeper after that first of several current autotraders joined on Nov. 10.

I had considered offering a coupon in late November, but thought it best to wait until the strategy’s third birthday. Unfortunately, any new subscribers missed out on my strategy’s 12% return so far in December. If you are on the fence, you could always try simulation.

Whether you are interested in my strategy or not, I hope that seekers give a closer look at some of the strategies on the Old-Timers list, which have at least beaten the SP500 for three years.

In my opinion, the single most impressive strategy on that Old-Timers list is Sage Volatility Margin (previously Smart Volatility Margin). I know that he (presumably still David Juday) had a mediocre 2019, but to have returned 50.7% a year since May 2016—and to have earned more than that this year (+67.2%)—is quite an accomplishment. He has successfully weathered several stock market crashes and mini-crashes and the partial collapse of the volatility market with only a moderate 31.2% drawdown.

Good luck investing!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the shout-out! And congratulations on an amazing 3 years! Best wishes and continued success in the years to come. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations, almost 80% return a year with less than 24% drawdown after 3 years, quite a feat!

Keep it up and Happy Holidays.

1 Like

These both look like solid strategies with proven track records. Congrats on the success!

1 Like

Without factoring in the 100% gain in the first month of the strategy the past three years have still been great with an average annual return of 41% with a reasonable draw down. That is definitely an accomplishment since you didn’t even use a lot of leverage.

1 Like

LiveForexSignals, D_Financial, & _J,

Thanks for your extremely kind comments. They are genuinely appreciated.

Have a wonderful holiday season.

1 Like

NextLevelTrader,

You mention the huge returns for the first month of the strategy. This strategy started on the very day that Bitcoin peaked in December 2017. Negotiating that extremely volatile market was not easy at all. And I was using leverage then. Things are much more orderly at the new Bitcoin peak this month, and Bitcoin is now a minor part of the strategy (today only about 4% of the portfolio is in GBTC, the Bitcoin Trust). Further, going forward I will not be borrowing on margin in order to make the strategy friendly to IRAs. Thanks for your supportive words.

2 Likes

@QuantitativeModels great work and nice summary. Great work also to you @_J.

1 Like

REMINDER: This coupon expires on January 21.

impressive performance. i am surprised you are not in the top 10 list on leaderboard

1 Like

You are very kind. On casual reflection, that might make sense, but I am ranked 49th on C2 score.

My strategy does well on the 5 supposedly most important criteria, but even there the new strategies have much higher alphas and Sharpe Ratios than mine or any long-term strategy can achieve with actual trading over the long haul.

Further, the 6th most important criterion is an odd one: "“Avg(MAE) / Avg(PL) [for] Losing trades.”

So for losing trades, you divide the average “maximum adverse excursion” (presumably in dollars) by the average loss (presumably in dollars) and give it a minus sign.

So, if you averaged a $1,000 loss on your losses, but your MAE on losses was 1,900 on average, then the ratio would be -1.9. And if you had a large DD in the position but managed to close it out with only a small loss, that would lead to a very bad score. If you held it until it went positive, then that DD is entirely omitted from this criterion (though it shows up in a less important one later down the list).

It appears that Martingale systems and systems with worrisomely high win rates might benefit from this criterion. Further, systems using stop-loss orders would benefit, since they would close out positions at or near their maximum DD.

What is unclear is whether MAE is different from Drawdown (DD) in dollars

That might be true because some strategies have an av MAE / av Loss for losing trades that is between 0 and negative 1. How is it mathematically possible to have a greater loss on any trade than MAE (if MAE means DD), let alone an average MAE on losses smaller than the average loss on losses? In other words, how could you lose $1,000 on a trade but have a Maximum Adverse Excursion (DD?) of only $900?

Thanks again.

interesting insight. thanks. i dont want to get into the scoring details, but it seems odd to me that the longevity of the system does not really reflect on leaderboard ( almost all the strategies are less than year old on leader board)

C2 lists longevity as the most important factor in its C2 ratings, but in practice young strategies’ advantage with profits before autotrading begins swamps longevity in the actual rankings.

Good luck trading and investing!

Eva:

Thank you very much for writing this. My strategy is now in the top ten by C2 rankings, rated 6th overall.

Your post caused me to look into why I was not ranked higher and I discovered an error in my favor in my returns and an error against me in one of the Drawdowns. C2 has now redone my entire trading history and has moved Innovation ETFs up to 6th place on its ranking of strategies.

The five strategies ranked ahead of mine were all started in March or later this year, so they have not yet experienced even one full market cycle.

Thanks once again.

2 Likes