Long term sustainability here?

I’ve been a member here for a while (a little over a year, I think) and finally got my trading strategy up and running a few months ago. Maybe this is a bias audience to be asking, but I’ve found very little reference to C2, specifically success stories, around the web and I am looking for some third-party validators that this is a worthwhile use of time in the long-run. Where can I find this kind of information?

Metrics like total subscriber numbers, possible earnings, etc. are really opaque. I know there is a claim that the top traders (or maybe just one person) are pulling some crazy number per year but, again, it’s basically impossible to determine if that is an anomaly or even true.

Once my strategy passed 90 days of activity I saw a very slight uptick in activity (like, 3 views whereas there were none at all before that). It was a welcome change but I’m hardly quitting my day-job over it. In playing with the score workbench age really does effect rank heavily so I’m planning on sticking around. But I wanted to see what other information about the platform and what “success” looks like is out there.

Thanks!

I’ll give you my two cents. I have been on here for a little over 2 years. I think very few managers are making any serious money. For me, I am trading my own capital and that is how I make a living. It doesn’t take any extra effort to allow people to follow what I do, so why not? If people find it is worthwhile, great. I am rewarded with a little extra income. If not, I will just continue to trade my own capital. I never expect it to come anywhere close to being a primary income source for me.

2 Likes

What @Guardcapsaid is the way in my opinion.

Once you set it up it doesn’t really have to take a lot of time in addition to what you already do trading. That is assuming you setup the broker transmit connection instead of entering trades a second time.

I connect C2 to my broker, pay $100 fee to list my strategy monthly, then just keep trading and managing my own money. Any subscriber fees above that are a plus.

I have tried to give a good description for subscribers, but other than that you can be pretty hands off. Or hands on if you want talking to subscribers all the time. Income will fluctuate wildly as subscribers come and go during drawdowns and good periods. You have to just ignore it.

I make around $2,000 to $3,000 per month for the last year from subscriptions after C2 takes their cut.

I think if you design a strategy with the hope of managing your own money, it makes a lot of sense and isn’t a lot of extra work. If you try to make a strategy and get subscribers as the primary money maker you will be disappointed.

6 Likes

This makes a lot of sense to me and is a totally acceptable situation. I’d like to make enough here to make up the monthly cost - anything else will go toward trading capital anyway to nominally grow that base.

Thanks!

That’s good to know - and thank you for sharing hard numbers. Those are nearly impossible to find “in the wild”. If I can get to that level, I’d be more than happy with that number as income.

Thanks!

What is “serious” money for you?

According to C2 records, one Trade Leader collected more than $500 000 from his subscribers.

Yes, that’s half a million US dollars, and it is just an example.

$500, 000, a life-changing event for most traders, indeed.

So yes, it is possible to earn a lot of money from C2, assuming the Trade Leader has a good risk-controlled system.

My point is that stat, which I’ve seen before, is totally unverifiable. And even if it is real, and they are #1 on the site, how much does #2 make? Just a “average income” stat would be helpful.

None of this is meant to be a knock on the platform. As I’ve said elsewhere, if I can get costs covered plus a little extra I would be happy. What to expect is just really, really opaque.

How many strategy leaders have made over $50k for 3 consecutive years? I don’t know the answer but I suspect that it’s very few. For that matter how many strategies have a good track record for 3 years that would justify fees like that? It’s hard to consistently outperform and sustain clients.

2 Likes

I have been on C2 since 2009 and you couldn’t have put this better, InteractiveAssets. I’d add, there is a big difference between those who see TOS as mainly a way to attract subscribers and get a larger percent of the subscription fee and those who are actually caring for their own nest egg, whether they are TOS or not, and sharing what they are doing. The first type seems to give up when faced with the loss of subscribers as their equity curve goes down. The second type is not going to give up on their actual nest egg so have what my mom used to call “stick-to-it-iveness,” they tend to stick around longer, through thick and thin, as their subscriber numbers wax and wane. No guarantee of trading success for either type, however, but I personally prefer the second type of strategy leader.

It is fairly easy to identify both types.

3 Likes

i am a bit disappointed that we have to pay fees as a manager and have to pay fees to copy our own strategy lol.

I’ve tried using BrokerTransmit and AutoTrade as a leader. I highly recommend BrokerTransmit if possible.

Despite everything else in this thread, which largely tracks with what I expected, it is good to see that some people have found it worthwhile to stick around. It’s also helpful perspective that I’ve been unable to find pretty much anywhere else. Seems like even though the site has been around for 20 years, it’s never been a run-away success with a large community outside of this forum

I honestly can’t even remember how I found the place at this point haha.

My plan was to have my signals sent from a separate server, first to my broker and then to C2. I wouldn’t get the “TOS” badge, but I also don’t use any of the “approved” brokers and don’t really want to switch. Kind of a best-of-both-worlds situation, but maybe people really do look for the TOS badge when shopping?

That seems reasonable to me. Later if you really want TOS you can also AutoTrade your strategy for another fee.

If you have enough subscribers, it can be worth the fee to get the other 10% cut (60% instead of 50%) from C2 and maybe get more subscribers overall.

2 Likes

Your strategy name is well chosen :slight_smile:
All your subscribers must be real masters in patience, especially in the last 3 months. :chart_with_downwards_trend:

Though many leave each time I have a drawdown, I have certainly been impressed by subscribers ability to remain patient and consistent. I try to warn subscribers upfront that I have never found a method to successfully avoid bad years.