Trades not executing at OX for RD30 Day Trading

RD30 Day Trading bought 2 symbol BDUO / Eurex Bund Sep 2010 today at market but the trade did not execute at OX.

Also MTQ0 on 8/2 and MTQ0 on 7/29 did not execute.

I called OX and their symbol for Eurex Bund Sep 2010 is DGBU10… not BDU10.

I informed the developer David Urraca and he claimed the symbols are correct and to take it up with C2. I’m stuck in the middle. Why is this happening?[LINKSYSTEM_37780234]

Hi,

Last time we checked FGBL (also known as BD at C2) was not supported at OX, I am glad it is now and I just added support for it.

MT however is not available at OX as far as I know.

Francis

If BD is not supported by OX what do you mean that “I just added support for it” How does that help?

Also - why is RD30 trading instruments that are not available at the broker that was offered when subscribing? I thought these systems/brokers were all verified by C2.

Also - what is MT? What exchange is this traded? Why doesn’t OX support it? I called OX and they couldn’t figure out what MT is.

Futures need to be mapped before they are supported because C2 uses different symbols and there is no standard symbology.

C2 has a list of symbols which may or may not be supported at a particular broker. No single broker supports all C2 symbols.

Let me try to add a little gloss to what Francis explained in his last post.

There is no “standard” set of futures symbols. Every broker uses different symbology. One of the nice things about C2 is that you don’t have to worry about this. You can know that if a futures contract is tradable at a broker, C2 will (generally) know how to translate the C2 symbol into the broker’s symbol. We do that behind the scenes and you won’t need to worry about it.

That said, not all brokers support all symbols. We try to offer as many symbols as possible, because some of our broker partners do support them.

And there are times when brokers add support for symbols that were not available when we turned that broker on in our system.

So, in short, when things like this happen, just let us know. Now that we know OX supports a new symbol, we’ll work on adding AutoTrading support for it here at C2.

When you said "Last time we checked FGBL (also known as BD at C2) was not supported at OX, I am glad it is now and I just added support for it. "

that sounds like C2 was unaware that OX trades Euro Bund futures so the BD symbol wasn’t mapped to OX’s symbol. If that’s the case then why is RD30 trading contracts that are not supported by C2 or OX for that matter?

Again - can you please tell me what contract is MT? and the same question - why is RD30 trading MT when it’s not supported?

I understand that some brokers use different symbols… so if BD and MT were/are not supported, why wasn’t an error generated when RD30 transmitted a trade for BD and MT routed to OX?

William - I can understand your frustration, I wish someone had warned me about OX when I first came to C2. For futures systems, if you need a Gen3 broker, I think you are much better off using Open E Cry and for stock systems hopefully, as Matthew mentioned here recently, some new good Gen3 stock brokers will come online soon. - Karl

Hi, William

You asked “if BD and MT were/are not supported, why wasn’t an error generated when RD30 transmitted a trade for BD and MT”?

The answer is that this isn’t an error condition. Every broker supports different symbols. So, for example, the AutoTraders using Interactive Brokers or Open E Cry were able to execute those trades. OptionsXpress customers were not.

Your feedback is good, however. It is probably useful to let people know which brokers support which symbols when choosing a broker during the AutoTrading setup process.

Finally, in several of your posts, you asked what is symbol "MT."

MT (according to C2’s symbology) is the CAC-40 Stock Index, which is the French equivalent, more or less, to the American S&P 500. It is traded on the EUREX exchange. While many American brokers support CAC-40 trading, not all do.

As per Francis’ post earlier this thread, we’ll make sure that BD trades are supported in your optionsXpress account (BD is the C2 symbol for the German Bund, also traded on Eurex). As Francis mentioned in his earlier post, when we first “turned on” support for optionsXpress here at C2, optionsXpress apparently did not support the Bund. Now that we know it does, we’ll make sure Bund orders get transmitted to your OX account.

Finally, you can see all of C2’s futures symbology here:

www.collective2.com/symbology_futures.htm

Hope this info helps.

Matthew

BD and MT (the CAC-40) are now supported by our OX interface and they will start trading when the market reopens.

You can see a list of C2 Futures symbols at http://www.collective2.com/symbology_futures

>The answer is that this isn’t an error condition. Every broker supports different symbols. So, for example, the AutoTraders using Interactive Brokers or Open E Cry were able to execute those trades. OptionsXpress customers were not. <

It seems that C2 is trying to blame OX for the missed trades and from what I’ve discovered the problem lies soley with C2.

I called OX tonight and talked to their customer service and they confirmed that Euro-Bund futures are not a new product - they have traded Euro-Bunds for a while. He couldn’t tell me when they started but he couldn’t remember ever not trading Euro-Bunds.

Also - OX also trades Cac 40 index futures. The symbol MTQ0 should have translated to MCTQ10. In both cases the broker supported the trades generated but C2 failed to translate the symbols.

In a previous post Matthew stated…

"You can know that if a futures contract is tradable at a broker, C2 will (generally) know how to translate the C2 symbol into the broker’s symbol. We do that behind the scenes and you won’t need to worry about it."

Well I am worried about it. How many more symbols are not mapped/translated?

>Your feedback is good, however. It is probably useful to let people know which brokers support which symbols when choosing a broker during the AutoTrading setup process. <

It’s not only useful - it’s critical. If a broker doesn’t support ALL the symbols in the universe for an autotrade program - the broker shouldn’t be listed - even though that’s not the case here.

Every symbol should be mapped for each broker. If the trade signal can’t map to a symbol in the broker’s universe, the trade signal should generate an error.

Also - Open E Cry is owned by OX. They only trade Futures and Forex. They trade the same futures contracts but the symbols are different in some cases. BTW - all equities traded through OEC are forwarded to OX.

Okay, William, great feedback. Thanks.

William - Even though OEC was aquired by OX they retained their own great futures trading technology and I can’t recall anybody complaining about them.

As far as their stock and forex trading is concerned they simply act as Introducing Brokers to OX and the existing Gen3 forex dealers (I say dealers and not brokers as, for example, Interactive Brokers, because unfortunately they sometimes take the opposite position of the trade at the expense of their clients).

Therefore I have asked the question here before: Why would anybody want to trade stocks or forex through OEC? - Karl

The technology is different. Most of the issues with OX are due to their API.

Karl, are you recommending to not trade stocks through OEC, or OX as well?

If neither OX or OEC, then currently there pretty much is not a good way to Gen3 autotrade with stocks, is there? (I am considering TradeBullet w/Interactive Brokers, and IB seems to be the only broker I can find that allows margin or futures trading inside of retirement accounts.)

Christina

Christina - If you absolutely need Gen3 for stock systems, that is, you can not watch your computer at least occasionally during the trading day, personally I would wait till Matthew puts the new promised Gen3 stock brokers on, however, there are some good systems that can be traded manually. I consider Interactive Brokers to be by far the best overall broker and I auto trade most of my subscriptions there via Trade Bullet except for some futures systems at OEC, primarily for easier tracking and not to clutter up my IB platform too much. - Karl.