What happened to Carma Managed Futures?

I remember a strategy called Carma Managed Futures that had good performance, but is now closed to outside investors. It’s been a while since I logged in so I don’t know how long the strategy has been private. Does anyone here know if the strategy performed well during the downturn? Or was it closed off as a result of the downturn? I just remember that one being particularly good and I wanted to see if it is still performing well or not.

Probably the same thing that happened to the #1 strategy on c2 recently: https://collective2.com/details/126695935

Blew out in a grand way - holding 3 cars of nq long lol

Rip those subscribers

Nope. He closed his strategy because he didn’t want subscribers to have too much slippage. It’s still the top strategy on C2. (Technically it’s not my job to speak for strategy managers, but I did want to clearly state that your theory about “what happened” is just plain wrong.)

Also, you’re just plain wrong (again) when you state that the strategy you linked to above, which has performed poorly, was “the #1 strategy” on C2. That is simply untrue. We track the rankings of strategies, and that strategy was never even in the top one hundred and fifty ranking.

3 Likes

@GokuBlack, if your interested in the strategy’s performance this is what it looks like now.

Capture

Looking pretty good!

1 Like

Wow! That’s awesome performance! Too bad the strategy doesn’t scale well without slippage issues, it probably would’ve gained an insane number of new followers given its recent performance

Yes…I was surprised too but I guess when trading futures liquidity will always be a factor as derivatives will never be as liquid as equities or bonds.

if he was “my father’s broker”……… my father would have kicked his a$$ :grin:

2 Likes

How many real subscribers do you think that strategy has? A rough estimate? I’m just asking because I want to express my concerns on the observation that less and less people are really willing to pay for a strategy on C2, in contrast to more and more for free simulated subscription. I don’t think that there’s more than 30 paying subscribers there even though it’s a pretty good strategy.

For every strategy you can click the “Show Autotrade data” button and click one of the little computer screen icons next to one of the strategies most recent trades to get a rough estimate. This strategy has 21 subscribers according to this method which I think is plenty.

That means that they’re making 21 subs x ($150 / 2) = $1,575 per month off that one strategy. If he raised his fee to say $199 he’d make a little more than $2,000 per month off one strategy which is a lot of money in my opinion, so there’s plenty of people here that will subscribe and provide good value to the strategy developer.

Also, this strategy doesn’t even have the most subs, there’s strategies that don’t rank as high on the leaderboard that have even more subs. For example, consider this strategy https://collective2.com/details-list/126441187

It has at least 35 subs at $229 meaning it’s generating a little more than $4,000/mo off that one strategy! So just make good strategies and the people will come.

2 Likes

Nice approximation…Thanks.

Looks like a pretty tough March, though… but being flat for 2020 thus far is probably nothing to be ashamed of with the 2019 results he posted…

Carma Managed Futures lost 50K in 2 months…. any thoughts?

The track record shows a (still manageable) 25.5% maximum drawdown, and drawdowns after each completed trade are very low. Return on investment is 4 times higher than the average annual return of the S&P 500 (Gordon Gekko would kill for that kind of return LOL).

In my opinion this is just a temporary setback.

Futures are highly leveraged and risky products. A rough period can produce quite large losses. They can also produce high returns when the system is winning.

If investors are unable to risk high losses then don’t choose futures trading systems since these are highly leveraged products.

If they trade micro futures then at least there is much lower leverage.

Futures are not “risky” products, because YOU decide how much to risk per trade (2% for example), not the market, even if your broker is offering a 1000 to 1 leverage.

Not sure why so many traders have a hard time understanding this simple concept.

If investors are unable to risk high losses then don’t choose futures trading systems since these are highly leveraged products.

I couldn’t agree more. See Does Leverage Hurt? It can!

Dear Lord, here we go again :joy:

2 Likes

I would love to see this in someone’s proposed risk discousures to any regulatory agency.

The risk disclosure document about futures trading exists ONLY because there is a possibility of loss greater than the initial investment, IF the trader does know what he is doing.

More importantly, these documents were created by a bunch of lawyers to prevent inexperienced and losing traders from suing their brokers.

In reality, futures contracts are actually safer than stocks, as this article clearly demonstrates: Opinion: Why futures contracts are actually less risky than stocks - MarketWatch

@LiveForexSignals, I mentioned that they are highly leveraged thats why they are risky. You are also CORRECT in saying that if stops are used then risk is lowered. But most traders don’t seem to use stops.

However most futures products like the ES moves 100 pts easily which can translate to $5000 with 1 contract alone. A 100 pt stock move would be extremely unlikely in a short time unless your trading Amazon or Google shares…lol. And the amount of margin needed to buy 100 shares of Amazon would be 100k or more if you use 50% margin unhedged with options.

So its basically that they highly LEVERAGED which can cause more losses or gains in a short time. I also mentioned that if you trade micro futures then the leverage is reduced and thus they are much more safer to trade with.